{ 𝟗 }

Romance was never Shin's forte.

He had admired boys from afar all his life, so the prospect of one finally coming to him in that regard was new to him.

But he went with it. Budo made it look so easy after all.

They went about life just as they did the weeks before.

Budo still followed him around whenever he could, Musume and her gang still made it a point to avoid him, and the harassment had stopped long before this.

They kept their relationship private. Behind closed doors only would their bodies intertwine on Shin's bed, only would their hands link together and their lips lock.

Shin told his mother, of course he did. She was one of the few people he could trust with that information, the other being Oka.

Like always, she accepted him with open arms, and when Shin worried for even a second about his father, his mother made it very apparent she would do everything in her power to protect him.

So, Shin let his worries go. They moved far into the back of his mind, and as the weeks started to breeze by again, he started to forget them entirely.

...

As for Budo, a relationship was like a new challenge. And he tackled it with determination like he did with everything else.

Everyone else in the martial arts club noticed how high-spirited he was after the day he had kissed Shin, though nobody except Mina would suspect the exact reason why.

She decided however, confronting him about it wasn't her business. Only per Suzuko's request would she talk to him about it again.

So she dropped it and chose to be happy for him.

And for both boys, life began to shine a bit brighter.

...

"So she'll be back next week?"

Budo asked, gazing at their linked hands. Shin smiled and leaned backwards.

"Yes. It will be a joy to have Miss Ruto back with us again..."

He commented. Budo laughed and crawled upwards, nuzzling into Shin's side.

"You know... maybe one day you two could include me in a ritual or something!"

Budo suggested, prompting Shin to start laughing. The other boy pouted.

"What?"

"You really would be interested in that?"

Shin questioned, Budo nodded eagerly.

"Of course!"

He grinned, and Shin smiled once more and pulled Budo in closer. He didn't protest.

...

"We're thrilled to finally have you back."

He grinned, he heard a soft shifting through the receiver, then Oka began to speak.

"Yes... it will be wonderful to finally be back. I'm so sorry I had to leave the club with you so suddenly..."

She apologized, but Shin brushed it off.

"It was no problem, Miss Ruto. But... I must confess something to you..."

He whispered.

"Yes? What is it, Shin?"

Oka questioned. Shin took a deep breath.

"I... I had been getting bullied."

He stopped for a moment. Oka whispered a soft 'oh my goodness' into her hand from through the phone.

"I'm sorry I- I should've been there for you and I-"

"No!"

He objected, quickly adding more to what he had to say.

"Miss Ruto, it's okay now. I'm okay. You needed to be away, it's alright."

Shin reassured her, and Oka took a moment, then the boy heard her sigh.

"...Alright... so what else did you want to say? Clearly there's more to it if you're alright now. I'm very thankful for that..."

She mumbled, and Shin continued.

"The martial arts club leader, Masuyama-San... he... he's been protecting me over the course of your absence... Musume and her gang haven't bothered me since he came around..."

"Has he? I knew that boy had a good heart."

Oka commented. Shin took a breath and let it out shakily.

"I... I think I may be in love with him."

He confessed. Oka fell silent once more. Without her making some sort of noise on the other end, Shin could hear just how loud his heart was thumping.

"M-miss Ruto?"

He called hesitantly, hoping she would respond.

"That's... wonderful."

She eventually stated, Shin let out a massive sigh of relief.

"Good, I'm glad..."

He grinned, and shortly afterwards, they hung up.

Shin collapsed against the back of his bed, a big smile still on his face.

{ ♡ }