{ 𝟖 }

"Cool room ya got!"

Budo commented, eyes glazing over the countless gothic relics Shin had propped up on top of his dressers and desk.

Woven tapestries and a mix of death metal album posters covered the walls.

The lights were dim, though Budo expected this. As he sat down on the mattress next to Shin, he felt how fast his heart was beating.

"Now, what did you need help with?"

Shin asked, gently pulling his homework sheets from his bag. Budo looked up, realizing he had not moved to grab his work.

He quickly did so, ignoring the tinge of heat dotting the tips of his ears and focusing on the task at hand.

...

Everything seemed to go like a blur. About half an hour into studying, they were called down for dinner. Budo sat stiff and answered any questions Shin's mother threw at him.

"Martial arts huh? I wouldn't expect a boy like you to befriend somebody with interests such as my son!"

She laughed. Budo chewed the last of the food in his mouth, swallowing and scratching the back of his neck.

"Yeah well..."

He eyed Shin.

"We just kinda met. And then bam! We were inseparable!"

The boy grinned, and Shin's mother smiled softly.

"It's so nice to hear, I'm glad you two have each other."

She mumbled. And for the rest of their meal, they sat and ate in a comfortable silence.

...

By the time Shin had pulled him along back up to his room, Budo's head was spinning.

He found it harder to focus, and when the other boy pointed off his distressed state, he panicked and buried his nose within his textbooks, earning some odd looks from Shin.

"Lets take a break now, shall we?"

Shin finally suggested, slamming his binder shut and sliding it off to the side. He went to go sit up on his bed, and Budo followed.

"Hey."

The boy started, Budo tensed as he felt a familiar touch against his shoulder.

"Are you alright, Masuyama-San?"

He asked, blushing a bit. Budo nodded, his face also flushing a bit.

"Yeah I just... I'm starting to think that it's not just protecting you that I care about..."

He mumbled, pulling a gasp from the other male.

"M-Masuyama-San..."

He whispered. Budo leaned over a bit, Shin moved back.

"I care about you, Higaonna-San. And you don't have to feel the same about me... but know that I do plan to keep my promise and protect you."

The martial arts club leader stated in a hushed tone, as be bent over Shin's figure, one of his hands outstretched and cupped his cheek like he had did the first day they met.

"I- how long do you plan on protecting me...?"

Shin asked from underneath him, tilting his head to the side. Budo hummed and lowered himself, lips ghosting over Shin's.

"Well... you did tell me to protect you for as long as you wanted. So as long as you're okay with it... that'll be a long time..."

He smiled, and then he leaned down and kissed him.

...

The walk to school was quieter than usual the next day. There was not as much eye contact, and when they did speak they were short conversations usually lasting about a minute at most.

Neither brought up the kiss. Neither brought up how long they went about it.

After they had locked lips, Budo whispered an apology and they both went back to studying.

Shin was awfully quite about it as well. He enjoyed it, yes. But he was afraid. He knew his mother wouldn't mind... but he would be cautious about telling her anything.

And of course... if his father ever found out, then he would be dead by the next morning.

They had reached the school gate when Budo finally decided to speak.

He grabbed Shin before he could make his way through the entrance gates, leaning in and whispering in his ear.

"I-I'm sorry about last night. I didn't mean to do that..."

He apologized, fumbling over his words. Shin stared at him for a moment, then he gave him a small smile.

"It's fine. I... I don't mind."

He replied quietly.

"What?"

Budo gasped. Shin gripped at the other boys hand tightly.

"I didn't mind. Not at all. By all means, I want you to be around me, and I... I guess it could mean in that way too..."

He explained. The martial arts boy frowned a bit.

"This is what you want, right? I'd hate it if I pushed romance upon you without your consent."

He pouted. Shin just grinned and nodded.

"Of course I do. I think that we can work it out."

He said. And they let go of each other's hands, though they walked into school both smiling that day.

{ ♡ }