{ 𝟔 }

"Miss Ruto... I need to ask you something..."

Shin looked around, Budo was still near, though he kept his distance, as he understood Shin deserved his own privacy when taking his call.

"What is it, Shin?"

She replied. 

The boy went silent for a moment, pondering how he should address her with his question.

"I... I think I might be falling for someone..."

He mumbled. Oka went silent for a moment, making Shin apologies and continue.

"So! My question is... is how do you know if you are?"

He questioned. Oka let out a hum.

"Shin, I think it all depends on how much time you spend with them. There should be this fluttering feeling inside you whenever you're near them..."

She explained, and Shin cocked his head to the side.

"A fluttering feeling..."

He repeated in a whisper, Oka went on.

"Yes. And I suggest you spend more time with this person, or even attempt to. Because if the feeling persists, then you'll know you're in love."

She said. And Shin held his phone tight to his chest.

"I understand, thank you, Miss Ruto."

He replied, and they then each said their goodbyes.

...

"Again, thank you..."

Shin smiled, hand rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. 

"It's no problem!"

Budo grinned back, bright smile on his face.

Shin did feel that flutter within him. Deep within the pit of his stomach, a lovely feeling bloomed, wrapping its tenderness around his heart.

But... he had been hurt before. The weight of his own peer pressure left him doubtful.

Yes, his mother accepted him, and there was no doubt Budo wouldn't.

But there was Musume, there were all the others boys and girls at school. There was his father.

Never would Shin feel safe opening up about how he felt, the only person he would want to know was his mother, who he knew would keep his secret safe until the day she died. 

The thoughts clouded his head the entire way back home that day.

...

"Something's got you down, I can tell..."

She commented, stroking his hair softly. Shin sighed and turned in her arms, face pressed to her side. She sighed.