{ 𝟕 }

"Higaonna-San... how have you been?"

Suzuko asked, the rest of the occult club members crowded behind her, as if they were scared to ask themselves. 

"I've been... fine."

He replied. It was the truth. He had indeed, made no attempt to hurt himself, nor did he step foot on the rooftop after the event that transpired now nearly three weeks prior.

In those three weeks, Budo had protected him, following him everywhere in a similar manner that the former martial arts club leader, Raibaru, followed her best friend, Osana.

In that time, he made sure to stay with Shin every chance he could, and would only leave his side if Shin had to make a call or for club activities.

At first, Shin was annoyed by the other boy's presence. But, he started to warm up to the other boy constantly being around him. 

And well... he was grateful too. In the time the two had spent together, Musume and her gang made no move to hurt him.

There was no harassment, no writing on his desk, no contact whatsoever. They all went out of their way to avoid him with Budo by his side.

Shin felt... happier. Knowing he was safe, knowing he did not have to worry for what was to come in the day.

Budo never forced him to speak with Miss Kunihito, and he had kept his word. No one other than himself knew of Shin's attempt, and he wanted things to stay that way.

"I'm glad! It's good to hear you've been better, Higaonna-San!"

Suzuko smiled, and it snapped Shin back to reality. He nodded, a smile on his own face as well. 

...

"Masuyama-San... a word please..."

Mina requested, Budo sucked in a breath and follower her out of the club room. His heart thumped in his chest a rapidly.

"You know you'll have to stop following him eventually, right?"

She asked, and the boy nodded. Though she knew better.

"Budo..."

She pressed, and Budo frowned, turning away.

"I know! I promise!"

"Do you really?"

"I-"

"Masuyama-San... I just- don't get so attached to him now. I know you want to protect him... but all Suzuko and I wanted for you was to check on him..."

The brunette reminded him, the boy shuddered.

"I understand."

He said blankly, and she nodded. Beginning to walk back, she patted his back once and set off. Then Budo was left alone.

...

"Forgive me for asking... but have you been feeling alright? You're usually a lot more... energetic."

Shin commented as they walked back home yet again.  

"I- no! I'm fine!"

The martial arts club leader blurted, making Shin laugh.

"No you're not."

"I am!"

Budo shot back.

"You so are, Masuyama-San."

Shin grinned smugly. But his expression softened within mere moments, and a pale hand slid up and onto Budo's shoulder.

"You've listened to me talk... so I'll stand by and let you now."

He said, and Budo's cheeks dusted red.

"I-I guess I could..."

Shin nodded and kept silent, allowing the other boy to speak.

"You know I can't protect you forever... believe me, I'd love to! But...  I know one day you'll probably be able to branch out and leave me behind..."

Budo mumbled. Shin stared at him with wide eyes, and then let out a little laugh.

"W-what?!"

Budo huffed, nudging his side.

"I know that, stupid. So just stay and protect me for as long as you think I need!"

Shin grinned, continuing to walk ahead. Budo stood for a moment, eyes flashing with pain.

'But thats a long time...'

He thought, then rushed to follow behind.

...

"So you're the boy my Shin's gotten close to. It's wonderful to finally see you!"

The woman smiled, gliding across the room to peck him on the cheek. Budo blushed and bowed before her.

"Budo Masuyama ma'am! It's a pleasure to finally meet you as well!"

He mumbled as respectfully as he could muster. She laughed and slapped his back, much to Shin's embarrassment.

"Now now! No need to be so formal!"

She smiled, walking off towards the kitchen.

"I'll be starting dinner now, you two run along and get whatever you need to done!"

She chirped, and Shin nodded, taking Budo up to his room.

{ ♡ }