{ 𝟑 }

Shin slipped back into his shoes slowly, still unable to think straight after everything that had just occurred in the past hour.

What would he tell Suzuko and the rest of the occult club? Would they care? Would any of them tell Oka?

Shin began to fear. Oka already was absent from school for undisclosed reasons. Even Shin was not sure what was the matter.

But Oka had left him in charge of the club in her absence. What would she say if they told her he had attempted to commit suicide...?

She would be devastated... Shin would not want that. Not for the one person he trusted more than anyone else.

...

As he slung his bag over his shoulder and stood, he turned to Budo.

"Promise you won't tell...?"

He asked, wanting to slap himself for sounding like a child.

"Why would I tell anyone?"

Budo replied, a small smile on his face. Shin's eyes widened.

The other boy caught sight of this and his smile widened a bit.

"It's safe with me, I promise."

He said.

...

By the time they both set out, the sun was low. The sky was a blurred patchwork of bright pinks and oranges and yellows.

Light pink petals fluttered to the ground and scattered before them.

"Why would you want to leave all this?"

Budo questioned, Shin stayed silent.

Budo coughed into his hand awkwardly, his eyes dropping from shin to the ground.

"...So Musume's the one who's been bullying you... right?"

He asked, turning to the other boy again. This time, he nodded.

"Yeah..."

He mumbled.

"Do you mind it?"

Budo began to hover closer towards him, moving a bit so they'd be walking mere inches apart.

Shin noticed, a soft blush beginning to dust his cheeks. He looked to his hands.

"Of course I do..."

He grumbled.

"I can see why. That girl's pretty ruthless..."

Budo replied.

"So... Suzuko was worried about me... but how did you end up on the roof?"

Shin asked this time, his tone a bit lighter.

"Well, Rakuyama-San is close with her... but she didn't want to pry... so she asked me."

He said.

"Why you? You don't know me..."

Shin questioned, and Budo felt a bit hurt by his bluntness. Shin sensed it and quickly threw out an apology.

"N-no its fine! I just... I guess she figured I could talk to you or something? I have sworn to uphold justice... the whole club has."

The martial arts club leader explained. Shin nodded, and then the two fell silent.

...

"Where are you're-"

"Parents? They're away for business for the next few days... its gonna be just me for a while."

Budo grinned, sliding off his shoes at the door. Shin did the same, and followed him through the halls toward his bedroom.

As Budo glided into his room, he collapsed onto his futon and let out an exaggerated sigh. Shin stood stiff in the doorway.

"Well don't just stand there, c'mere! Sit down!"

The martial arts club leader grinned, patting the soft materiel beside him. Shin sighed and slowly made his way toward the other boy, sitting beside him on his knees.

"So what's your deal anyways?"

He inquired, tilting his head to the side.

"What do you mean?"

Shin asked.

"Well... you're vice president of the occult club, right? Do you actually manage to summon demons and talk with spirits?"

Budo leaned backwards, body sprawling across the cushion beneath him. Shin eyed him suspiciously.

"Yes... but, might I ask why you want to know so much about me?"

The boy demanded, Budo laughed.

"I wanna know more about you so I can protect you! I am going to be doing that from now on, after all!"

He exclaimed, and Shin fell silent. Eyes widening at the sheer bluntness of the other male beside him.

Blush blurred once more on his features, and poor Shin felt as if he couldn't speak.

"W-what?"

He finally mumbled after a minute. Budo nodded and rolled on his side facing his company.

"I'm gonna make sure they don't hurt you anymore! In the name of justice I will!"

"B-but you don't-"

"Nonsense, I insist!"

Shin sucked in a breath. Again, there was no point in trying to argue with Budo.

In the short two and a half hours he had known him, Budo had shown him just how stubborn he was, dragging Shin along with him back home and whatnot.

The boy paused for a moment, let out his breath, and nodded.

"Fine. Tomorrow you'll begin protecting me."

He said, standing.

"Where are you going?"

Budo asked, a small frown on his face.

"Home. My mother is expecting me."

Shin said, grabbing his bag.

"I'll walk you back!"

The other male cheered, practically bouncing up.

This time, Shin did not protest.

{ ♡ }