Starr Academy: Year Two- Chapter 1

One

    I sighed as I got off the plane. I was back in my home town. My sigh wasn’t one of peace, but of anguish. I didn’t want to be home. I didn’t want to come back to the place that I knew i would be tormented and treated like a servant.

    Franklin draped an arm around my shoulders. “Don’t worry Hope. There’s nothing they will do to you while you’re back. If they try anything, call me. You’re too nice to use your elements on them, but I’m not.”

    I lightly tapped him in the gut with my elbow. “You’re not to use your element on them either. I don’t want you to get in trouble with the school or council. You remember the rule Headmistress Alexi said to us before we left.”

    He rolled his eyes. “Yeah yeah. I remember. Our elements are not to be known to those who don’t know. They are to be kept a secret. I know, I know.”

    I smiled at him. “See, you do pay attention.”

    He shifted me into a headlock. “You’re such a nerd.” He rubbed his knuckle into my hair. He didn’t do it roughly, just playfully.

    Before long we’re at the luggage claim waiting for our luggage to come out. He joked around with me as we waited. It was nice having him as a friend. How we have changed since we left here last august. Now it was June, and we’re close. Like siblings really. He was more like my brother than my own brothers.

    Speaking of my brothers. I looked around to see if they or my mom was here. Nope, none of them. I wasn’t at all surprised. Just very disappointed in them. But what did I except? Them to be here waiting for me when I got off the plane. That wasn’t them.

    I looked to the doors and saw Franklin’s mom rushing over to where we were. He dropped his arm from my shoulder as she got close. They embraced in a touching mother/son moment. I had taken a step away to give them more room.

    She pulled back and cupped his face. “I’m so proud of you. You’re in the top ten of your class.” I bit my lip as she started to kiss his face with how happy she was.

    “Oh mom!” He whined and tried to fend her off. “We’re in the airport. People are watching.” I giggled and he glared at me, but I knew he wasn’t mad. “You should get her. Hope’s top of the class.”

    My eyes shot wide. No he didn’t. I groaned as she was now pulling me to her and hugging me and kissing me all over. “Oh Hope. That’s amazing.”

    “Debbie!!! Leave that poor girl alone. You’re acting like she’s your daughter and she’s just completed a marathon and took gold. Let the girl breathe.” Franklin’s father Greg said pulling his wife away from me.

    “But she’s head of the class!” Debbie actually had proud tears in her eyes.

    Thankfully we were saved by the buzz of the luggage claim as it started up to give us our luggage. I frowned at Franklin when he lifted my bag up for me. He shrugged as he put it down next to me. I tried to do the same thing for him, but he beat me to it. He laughed as he hoisted it up.

    I walked with them outside and looked around. Greg frowned at me. “They’re not coming. They asked us if we could take you home.”

    I sighed sadly. “I don’t want to put you out. I could just take a taxi home.”

    He shook his head taking my suitcase from my hands. “No way I’m letting you do such a thing. It’s not a problem for us at all.” He pulled me along with him as we followed Debbie to their car. “Did you have a good school year?”