Three years ago...

Three years ago,

Chapter 1

"Pinkie over here!!" A mother's call snapped me out of my revere.

I look down and find a book on my lap, huh! I must have brought it for reading. I turn the book over to see its cover page and recognize it to be "the portable" from Dorothy parker. I may not be well versed in poetry but Dorothy parker's poems are one of my favourites. I took the book and started to relax myself and ready myself to lose myself inside the book. Losing myself inside a book has always been one of the most pleasurable experiences of mine.

After a while my back started to ache so I started to lean back against the couch I was sitting on only to find that I've been reading in a shade which I did not mind or find suspicious until I heard a soft voice recite,

"There is a little in taking or giving,
There is a little in water or wine,
This living, this living, this living..."

I look up startled to find out that the shade I saw earlier was cast upon by a boy. When I realised what he was reciting I "Was never a project of mine" completed the verse for him. It was one of my favourite poems from the book.
I stood up and that's when I realised he was quite taller than me. He was hazel haired, green eyed and was wearing a plain olive t-shirt and ragged blue jeans. He had an accent which fit both British and Australian.

He finally said "aren't you a little young to be reading Dorothy parker?" after what felt like an eternity of silence. I gave him a little smile and asked him "how old do you think I am?" He tilted his head and gave me a cocky smile- which revealed a little dimple in his left cheek- as if he were thinking and said "I don't know.... But u sure look like a seventh grader" with a hint of doubt. I was small, about 5'2, not exactly petite but my face still had the curves of babyhood.

This time I gave him a short, soft laugh and told him "well, if u ask me I will take that as a compliment" before I was able to complete that sentence he broke in and said "I knew it! I knew you were younger than that. It's just you Indians look so much young I had to add two years to what I think you guys' ages are"
I gave him a look and said "well, I told it was a complement because people usually asked me if I was a fifth grader. But till no, will you believe me if I told you that I am a junior."

His eyes widened with surprise and amusement which was a look I got on a daily basis. I said "now, now isn't it rude to ask a girl's age and not tell your own?" with a hint of naughtiness. He said "I am seventeen and going to be a junior"

"You aren't from India, are you?" I asked.

"Nope" he replied.

Suddenly I felt a buzz in my thigh and that was when I realised I was wearing jeans and my phone was in my pocket. I looked at my phone to find out that my mother was calling me. As I answered the call I realised that I was in the mall's bookstore. My mom asked me to her in front of the bookstore. When I looked up at the boy standing in front of me I found him staring at me with an eyebrow raised. I gave him a quizzical look and said "nice to meet you, enjoy your vacation and sorry to cut the conversation short but my mum is waiting for me outside. Gotta go! Bye!! Have fun."

As I started to walk toward the entrance he called out "but you haven't told me your name yet!". I turned towards him still walking towards the entrance and called out "I don't know, you tell me!". I waved him goodbye with a smile, turned back towards the entrance and sprint to my mum who was waiting for me gazing at a dress shop.

Chapter 2

I was being shaken awake by my mother, telling me to wake up and get out of the cab since we've reached home. Oddly shaken and disoriented I climb out of the cab to realise that I had fallen asleep on our ride home from the mall.