Appendix 2C: Brandon's Manifesto

TEXT FILE NUMBER B 1.1: UNFINISHED MANIFESTO OF BRANDON JONES

LOCATION: TOWNSHIP OF ARCHANGEL, WASHINGTON STATE (PRESUMED)

DATE: JUNE 20, 2018

TEXT FILE BEGINS

I am a United States military veteran. I can't say which branch, or my rank, or any of the other things people ask you when you mention you served. All I can tell you is that I worked in the intelligence community. There are about a dozen non disclosure agreements that have legally sealed my lips unless I want to spend the rest of my life swinging a sledgehammer in Leavenworth Penitentiary Barracks breaking big rocks into little rocks. I can say that I don't feel great about my service, and that I feel that the government, or more specifically the Department of Defense, gets a pass pretty much whenever they want in the name of maintaining national security. They can keep secrets from the American people, they are given license to spend staggering amounts of money, and they are sanctioned to kill virtually anyone they want without any worry of repercussions. To make things worse, the last 60 years has seen the military become inextricably partnered with the multi-billion dollar per year defense industry. The defense industry lobbies politicians who pass fat budgets for the military who sign contracts with the defense industry. As of now, a 6th of the entire annual budget of the United States of America goes to the very broad umbrella of "defense".

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not deluded enough to think that America can get by without a military, but I think that the military should have some check to its power. Right about now I'm sure some people are thinking I'm fitting nicely into the stereotype of the jaded, disgruntled veteran, and that maybe I'd do better investing my time in therapy rather than writing or researching. Believe me, I've thought the same thing, and sometimes I think you might be right. But I also think that bringing to light the real possibility that the U.S. military is contracting with an organization that disappeared two teenage girls just because they didn't like them is a worthy cause.

TEXT FILE ENDS