Appendix 5B: The Librarian

AUDIO FILE NUMBER A 1.1: TRANSCRIPT OF INTERVIEW OF MS. DIANA AZIMUTH BY MR. REDMOND COARSE, JOURNALIST AT THE ARCHANGEL HERALD

DATE: DECEMBER 1, 1999

LOCATION: SCHOOL LIBRARY, ARCHANGEL SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL, TOWNSHIP OF ARCHANGEL, WASHINGTON STATE

AUDIO FILE BEGINS

REDMOND COARSE

Thank you for meeting with me, Mrs. Azimuth.

DIANA AZIMUTH

It's Miss, actually. And it's no problem. It's the least I can do if it means I can help find Amanda and Crystal.

REDMOND COARSE

Yes, well, while I appreciate that, I don't know if anything I can do will help find them necessarily. My hope is more to get a sense of who they were, and let people know that.

DIANA AZIMUTH

Mr. Coarse, who they were is part and parcel of why they've gone missing.

REDMOND COARSE

I'm afraid I don't understand.

DIANA AZIMUTH

Never mind. Did you have specific questions you had wanted to ask, or...

REDMOND COARSE

Uh, yes, I did. But maybe we could talk for a minute about what you meant by that last bit you said.

DIANA AZIMUTH

We can certainly come back around to that if you'd like, but for now why don't you ask the questions I'm sure you have prepared.

REDMOND COARSE

Oh, um, alright. I suppose that's a good place to start. How about you tell me how you knew them.

DIANA AZIMUTH

I was their school advisor.

REDMOND COARSE

I see. And how much time did you spend with them in that role?

DIANA AZIMUTH

In that role? Not much at all.

REDMOND COARSE

I'm sorry, but I was under the impression you were around them rather frequently

DIANA AZIMUTH

I was, but not as an advisor. The majority of the time I spent with them was as their docent leader. We examined various methods of research that they were likely to encounter when they left for college.

REDMOND COARSE

So both of them were planning on going to college?

DIANA AZIMUTH

Oh, yes. I'd be surprised if both of them finished anything less than a master's degree. They were potential academics in the making.

REDMOND COARSE

So they got good grades, the two of them?

DIANA AZIMUTH

They did more than just earn good grades. To truly be an academic, one must find joy and fulfillment in the act of inquiry. One must embrace learning–all learning–for learning's sake, not just to attain good marks on a report card.

REDMOND COARSE

I see. So then Crystal and Amanda were academics?

DIANA AZIMUTH