Appendix 5E: The Attack on the Machines

TEXT FILE NUMBER F 1.0: NEWS ARTICLE FROM THE ARCHANGEL HERALD

LOCATION: TOWNSHIP OF ARCHANGEL, WASHINGTON STATE

DATE: JULY 2, 1999

TEXT FILE BEGINS

A shocking story coming out of the village of Dark River this evening as officials there report that ten people were injured in the early hours of the morning after being struck by a piece of heavy equipment.

The incident occurred at a logging camp belonging to Dark River Timber and Energy, and located on the south western border of Archangel County. The public relations division of TARN Defense Industries, the parent company of Dark River Timber, released a statement claiming the individuals had trespassed onto the company's private property before illegally chaining themselves to logging equipment while the camp workers slept. The workers became aware of the presence of the individuals only when their cries were heard from the scoop of a front-loading bulldozer.

Officials from the Dark River precinct of the Archangel County Sheriff Department report that they are investigating the incident, though official details on the case have yet to be released. However, anonymous sources within the Sheriff's Department have informed us that the Sheriff's Department suspects the individuals involved in the action at the camp belong to Liberation Gaia, an extremist group that advocates for the return to a pre-industrial society. No one from Liberation Gaia was available for comment on this story.

TEXT FILE ENDS