ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕨𝕠 - 𝕐𝕖𝕒𝕣𝕤

Edited

Word count: 1,459

Enjoy, don't forget to comment, like, share and follow!

I woke up early that morning. I never was one to sleep in. Before all of this, I worked in an office, trying to make my way up the ranks. I was about to get a promotion, then the world decided to kill itself.

I peaked into the bedroom, looking at Jacob, who was sound asleep.

This was good, I think I would have enough time to look through at least half of the houses on the street. If I could find enough food to last us a while, that would mean we could stay.

I grabbed a small backpack, knife, and a flashlight, walking out of the house as quietly as I could.

There were twelve houses, but I decided to only check a few that night.

Checking the first three, I found loads of food. It was like no one lived on the block when it all started. I decided to take the food back before I went to the fourth house.

There was something off about this house. The door was slightly ajar. Which meant there was either. The dead was in, or there was a person.

Neither of those, I wanted to encounter.

I pressed my ear against the door, not hearing anything, I pushed the door open, stepping into the front room.

That's when I heard it, the soft cries of a woman and a groan of the dead.

I lifted my knife, peaking into the living room. I let out a gasp, immediately slapping my hand over my mouth. The woman's head turned to look at me. She looked devastated.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude," I said, starting to back up. "I'll be going now." I looked at the dead behind her, then back at her. She had been bit.

"Please, stay. I can't kill my husband." She whispered the last part.

I looked at the front door, worried about the little boy in the house across the street.

If there were people in this house, could there be more in other houses?

I finally looked back at the woman, "Do you want me to kill him for you?" I asked.

"Yes, you'll have to do me after." She moved her hand, letting me see the extent of the bite. "He bit me."

This made my body halt. Could I kill a living person? Most importantly, how would this affect me in the long run?

I met her eyes and nodded. I wanted to aid her final requests. I walked over to what I assumed was her husband, placing the tip of my blade at the softest part of his skull.

As I was about to plunge the knife into the undead skull, the woman spoke up.

"Wait!" She said softly, she moved forward, and I stepped out of the way. "Let me say goodbye." She moved and kissed the forehead of her now-dead husband, whispering sweet nothings.

"I love you so much, Brian. We'll be together again soon." The woman said.

She took a step back, allowing me to plunge the knife into its eye socket. The woman fell against the couch, letting out a strangled sob. She moved over to him, crying against his bloody clothes.

I moved back, letting her have time to grieve before it was her turn.

I walked upstairs and returned a few minutes later, Brian was now on the ground, and the woman was lying back on the couch.