three

CHAPTER 3

DIANA FOLLOWED THE GROUP INTO THE GREAT HALL

DIANA FOLLOWED THE GROUP INTO THE GREAT HALL. Taking a seat at the far end of the Slytherin table next to Harrison. The rest of their journey had continued rather uneventfully and quite boring, though anything would struggle to top the surprise of a dementor sweeping down the aisle of the Hogwarts Express.

As it was at the beginning of every year, the Great Hall was traditionally and splendidly decorated for the Start-of-Term Feast. The room was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that floated midair above the four tables. The ceiling was bewitched to look like the night sky outside and even after all these years it was still difficult to believe it wasn't an open view to the heavens.

Drawing Diana's attention away from the decor, Harrison began to speak. "I wonder what the speech will be about this year. Something entirely vague yet optimistic I suppose." He jeered, nudging Diana in the ribs so that she looked to the front of the hall where Dumbledore took stand at his grand podium. "Welcome!" He cheered, arms opened wide. "to another year here at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. As I'm sure you are all aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express on your way here, at the request of the Ministry of Magic Hogwarts will until further notice play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is captured."

Diana could sense the odd students peer in her direction but was unfazed by their stares and paid them no attention.

"Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities a word of caution is required. Dementors are vicious creatures. They'll not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving."

The same cold feeling as before fell upon the room and not even the heat radiating from the flames of the gold lanterns could warm them. It felt different this year, everyone could tell. More dangerous, more daunting. As if something bad was coming and all they could do was sit and wait for it to happen. This wasn't new to Diana, she had felt that way since her first day at Hogwarts and now in her final year it grew stronger. There was only one year remaining until everything changed for her.

"On a happier note," Dumbledore said brightly, quickly diminishing the fear that had settled. "I am pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

As Dumbledore spoke, Diana's gaze travelled to the table of teachers to fall upon the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and instantly her stomach dropped.

No way.

She was practically halfway out of her seat, face twisted in confusion as she leaned across the table to get a better look, certain that her eyes were deceiving her. But unfortunately, they were not. Hogwart's new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor was no stranger, he was the man Diana had been with the night before.

"Diana, are you okay?" Olivia asked in concern. "You look like you've seen a ghost and I don't just mean Peeves," she added but her voice simply faded into the background as Diana couldn't draw her shocked eyes away from the man. Well, that was until he carried out his awkward bow and began to scan the audience of students.

Diana threw herself back into her seat, almost falling onto Harrison's lap much to his amusement. She swiftly turned her head away to face the back of the hall, hoping she had gone unnoticed. "Di, what's up with you today?" He questioned, his tone slightly irritated. "You're acting even stranger than usual."

She ignored Harrison, too busy focusing on keeping hidden.

"And next, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire in order to spend more with his remaining limbs. Fortunately I am delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid."

Even with the tremoundous round of applause that exploded from the Gryffindor table, Diana did still not dare to turn around. She knew he would see her eventually and some disastrous encounter would take place but she had decided in the Great Hall with the entire population of Hogwarts watching, was not the best place for that to happen.

"And with that, let us eat!"

The table then and there filled with gold platters of delicious food. Normally Diana would be stacking her plate high on the rare occasion she allowed herself to fully indulge but tonight she had unsurprisingly lost her appetite.

Over the loud chatter of cheerful students Cassandra bragged about her father's recent promotion in the Minstry and Marcus about how Slytherin were destined to win the Quidditch House Cup this year. Diana, however, barely listened. Instead she picked at her food with her fork and stole the occasional glance at the man she from now on would be calling Professor. Thankfully, he hadn't seen her. He was too preoccupied with politely conversing with Professor Flitwick.

How had this happened? She thought to herself. He hadn't told her the reason he had to leave early was to start a new job as a Professor. Nor had she told him she was a Hogwarts student. Neither things seemed relevant at the time. Neither were relevant until combined with the other.

Eventually the piles of food diminished and the Prefects stood to escort the First Years to their Common Rooms. Diana saw her escape, a small gap in the group of timid Hufflepuff girls exiting the hall. She chugged the remainder of her pumpkin juice and sprung from her seat towards the doors.

Just as soon as she was sure she had made it to safety a low whiny voice stopped her dead in her tracks. "Miss Carrow." It drawled out, every syllable dripping with conceited rage.

She turned on her heel slowly, a feeling of dread brewing in the pit of her stomach as she came face to face with Snape. He looked down his nose at her, a piece of greasy black hair falling over his glaring eyes. "Do not think that just because it is a new school year I have forgotten about the remaining detention you are yet to serve."

At the end of last year Snape had caught Diana wandering the corridors after hours. It was something she often did, most nights she wasn't very good at sleeping but she never normally got caught. That night however was fresh off her breakup with Harrison and she was not on top form.

"Come on now, sir." She spoke in a condensending tone. "Lets just forget about that. We shouldn't carry around such negativity with us for so long," she pressed a hand to her chest. "It's bad for the soul."

A growl practically formed in the bottom of his throat as he stared back at her with a face as blank as canvas. "My office, Thursday night. 7pm. Do not be late."

With that and a flick of his black cape he departed, leaving Diana finally able to make her exit. She made her way down to the dungeons, muttered "veritaserum" to the appropriate wall and entered the Slytherin common room. Buried deep in the dungeons and partly under the Black Lake, the Slytherin common room was a long, low room with rough stone walls and ceiling. The decor was appropriately green and black and a fireplace crackled under an elaborately carved mantelpiece. It was weirdly comforting to Diana, who flopped onto the dark leather sofa.

Her head spun with thoughts as she watched the fire burn in front of her. It was unusual, sure. How many people could say they had been with a teacher? But was it that much a big deal? No, she decided. Their encounter was techinally before he became her professor so nothing improper had truly happened.

What did concern her however was how captivated she had been by him that night. She felt drawn to him in a way she couldn't describe, as if there was some intangible force pushing them together. The night they'd shared was amazing but as she did with everything, she had forced those thoughts and feelings away. All she could do now was hope they would not return.