thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

THE WEEK AFTER DIANA HAD SHOWED PROFESSOR LUPIN HER SECRET TALENT, she was expecting her Defence Against the Darks Art lesson to be painstakingly awkward

THE WEEK AFTER DIANA HAD SHOWED PROFESSOR LUPIN HER SECRET TALENT, she was expecting her Defence Against the Darks Art lesson to be painstakingly awkward. Diana wasn't fazed by their intimate moment in the way most people would be feeling terribly uncomfortable. She wasn't riled easily and the art of ignorance was something she had executed a long time ago. Lupin, however, did seemed to be rattled by the encounter and even went as far to go in the opposite direction when he noticed Diana approaching him in the corridor. He wouldn't dare look in her direction when they happened to be in some proximity to each other and such Diana felt shameful and embarrassed.

However, at her desk next to Olivia, all worries about their reunion were replaced as with a loud slam of the door, Professor Snape swept down the aisle of the classroom, slamming down the shutters over the windows as he did. "Turn to page three hundred and ninety-four." He snarled.

Confused, everyone seemed to glance among one another until an eager Gryffindor girl flung her hand into the air unable to contain herself any longer. "Sir, where is Professor Lupin?"

Turning to face the class, a twisted smile etched across Snape's face. "Professor Lupin finds himself too ill to teach today and has asked that I cover the lesson for him. Now turn to page three hundred and ninety-four before I have to ask once more."

So he was ill. Again. Diana frowned as she flicked through her DADA textbook and landed on the page they had been told to turn to. Atop a lengthy description was a drawing of a hideous and evil creature.

"Professor Snape, Sir, we already covered werewolves in third year. Why are we going over them again?"

"Five points from Ravenclaw for speaking out of turn." He snapped, causing the Ravenclaw boy who had asked the question to shyly slink back into his seat. His question was valid nonetheless. They had studied werewolves and lycanthropy way over three years ago and to be doing it now seemed like a poor way to spend their time. "Time and time again lycanthropy has come up on N.E.W.T exams and not once have I seen it perfectly answered. Now let's see, Mr. Wood, have the many bludgers you have taken to your head affected your memory. Tell me, how do we distinguish between the werewolf and the true wolf?"

The Quidditch captain opened his mouth and stuttered a feeble mumble of noises in a poor attempt to the answer the question he clearly did not know, causing Snape to smirk in a sinister way, as though his point had been proven. "Just as I expected. I shall make a point of informing Professor Dumbledore how behind you all are under Professor Lupin's teaching. Now, can anyone answer my question?"

Diana raised her hand. "The werewolf differs from the true wolf in several small ways. Though in their animal form the most notably difference is their shorter snout and more human-like eyes. A true wolf is unlikely to attack a human except under exceptional circumstances whereas the werewolf targets humans almost exclusively and poses very little danger to any other creature."