eleven

CHAPTER 11

THE FIRST HOGSMEADE TRIP OF THE YEAR WAS ALWAYS CAUSE FOR EXCITEMENT

THE FIRST HOGSMEADE TRIP OF THE YEAR WAS ALWAYS CAUSE FOR EXCITEMENT. It was nice for them all to have a break from studying and to leave the grounds of the castle. Diana impatiently waited for Olivia as for the third time since they had begun their journey to the village she had stopped to tie up her boots. She finished lacing them up and stood with a cheerful smile. "Done." She beamed and jogged to catch up with the rest of them.

"Good," said Diana. "Because if they come undone one more time I'm turning around and going back to the castle."

As quickly as Autumn had come, it had gone and now in Winter the village of Hogsmeade looked like a picturesque Christmas card. The thatched roofs of the shops and cottages were covered in a layer of crisp snow and holly wreaths and ivy strings were hanging on the doors and trees. The ground was covered in a thick blanket of white snow but a path had been cleared as people went by all day long.

"Where do you want to go first?" Harrison asked the four of them as they came to the village. It was extremely busy, many witches and wizards happily bustling around whether they were shopping or just spending time with friends. "Honeydukes," Cassandra answered. "I promised my sister I'd get her some Fizzing Whizzbees."

On the door of the store, bundled between festive decorations, hung a notice that was hard to miss.

BY ORDER OF THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC

Customers are reminded that until further notice, Dementors will be patrolling the streets of Hogsmeade every night after sundown. This measure has been put in place for the safety of Hogsmeade residents and will be lifted upon the recapture of Sirius Black. It is therefore advisable that you complete your shopping well before nightfall.

Thank you!

It was strange to think someone as dangerous as Sirius Black was still on the loose, it seemed to infiltrate everyone's lives and worries. Diana couldn't understand how he hadn't been captured yet, he was the most wanted man in the Wizarding World, how hard it could be? Though that day, or at least in Hogsmeade, no one had any worries about who was lurking around dark corners.

They entered the loud shop and immediately Diana's senses were flooded with the smell of succulent sweets and chocolate. It was truly quite a sight to behold, shelves upon shelves stacked with the largest variety and craziest of treats. Out of the corner of her eye, Diana noticed a group of timid first-year boys watching her half in fear, half in awe. She sent them a harsh glare, sending them scampering away before she squeezed through the crowd towards the chocolate section. She grasped a box of chocolate wands and nougat, paying from them both then reuniting with the others by the store door.

"Three Broomsticks?" Olivia suggested and they all nodded. Harrison held the door open from them all, allowing them to walk through first. Outside, a blast of cold air hit Diana's face. Cheeks pinking and sore from the gust of icy wind, she adjusted her coat and pulled her scarf closer. They trod carefully through the snow, careful not to get their boots wet but were relatively unsuccessful.