five

CHAPTER 5

DIANA WAS TEN WHEN HER FATHER'S HAND WHIPPED ACROSS HER CHEEK

DIANA WAS TEN WHEN HER FATHER'S HAND WHIPPED ACROSS HER CHEEK. She had snuck out of bed for a sweet midnight snack and tiptoed into the kitchen where she saw something she was not meant to. Her father, sleeve rolled up to his elbow, bared his arm to his friend Antonin Dolohov. On it a black skull and serpent stamp.

She cried for hours, her body physically convulsing with heart-wrenching sobs. Her mother had begged her to tell her what was wrong but she couldn't bear to admit it and her father said nothing. That was the only occasion he had ever hit her and he had afterwards apologised, but the damage had already been done. Even now he hadn't laid a finger on her since but from that moment on she detested him. And after that life became so much easier because how could he hurt her when she simply did not care?

Then when she was twelve she had her first day at Hogwarts. She was in awe of the castle. Its many towers and turrets, the magic it gave off, and the feeling of warmth and home. She was so excited, her beaming smile went from ear to ear. From the moment she had got on the train she had been idly chatting and laughing with two other girls and as they climbed the stairs to the entrance of the castle they decided to be the best of friends. Then someone called out Diana's name, her full-name.

Instantly the girl's faces clouded with shame and they backed away with hushed whispers and dirty looks. One boy even laughed to mock Diana and she remembered the feeling of all those years ago when her father hit her. Powerless.

She swore to never feel that way again and thus began her descent into bitterness.

It was simple really. Like no one. Love no one. Don't let anyone or anything close. Because if you had nothing and cared about nothing then there was no way anything could ever hurt you.

She turned her feelings off like a switch. Became cold and hostile to everyone. The people that tried to be her friend she didn't let and the people that didn't want to be she plainly ignored. She faked it for so long that eventually it became real and now she was eighteen years old with a heart as cold as ice. Consequently, she felt as if this made her powerful. She was untouchable, unbreakable, and boy did she enjoy it.

This also, however, made her dangerous. If you have nothing to care about other than a frantic search for power then the consequences of your actions have no meaning and you'll do anything to hold onto that.

Her attitude hadn't gone unnoticed, especially not to those who had reasons to be concerned.

Remus Lupin was initially surprised to have been invited to sit in on the start of term meeting with the senior members of Hogwarts staff. It was such a meeting that happened at the start of every new school year. It involved a roundup of potential problems and issues that could occur and what to do if they did and as a former member of the Order, and trusted acquaintance of Dumbledore, Remus had been invited in the hope he would be of some help.