fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

ANY CHRISTMAS CHEER DIANA MIGHT HAVE HAD WAS NOW LONG GONE

ANY CHRISTMAS CHEER DIANA MIGHT HAVE HAD WAS NOW LONG GONE. It had disappeared the instant she received the letter from her mother requesting her home for the holiday and even more so when she finally found herself back at Carrow Manor.

Despite the Manor's beauty, Diana still hated the place and not one part of it felt like a real home. The ceiling's were high and the surroundings stone with a silver lining. Grand portraits and decorations also littered the walls and whilst they were gorgeous, they were just as unnerving. Although the manor was vast, it was also dark, the only sources of light being the yellow and orange glows from the many chandeliers and lanterns.

It was hard to imagine that Diana had ever grown up there, that a young toddler had ever existed within its wall. It surely wasn't child friendly. If Diana was to ever fall she would have certainly broken a bone or bruised her head and was probably one of the reasons she was never allowed to play like most children her age did.

There were only two places in the whole of the lot that Diana didn't mind being. The first of those was the gardens. Whether she was with the flowers or the statues, or just the sparse empty land, she felt content and often took to the outside to read. The second place was her bedroom. It certainly wasn't perfect, for it was constant reminder of the life she had lived, but at least it wasn't dark and cold. If anything it was aesthetically similar to Versailles, decadent, cream and gold.

She knew she was privileged to live in such a home and have such fortune, but it had never been enough to rid of the hurt and unhappiness, and she only scolded herself more for being so ungrateful.

For the last week Diana had felt like she was drowning. Not just from the suffocation of the house, but her feelings. They were overwhelming her, dragging her out deeper and deeper to sea until eventually they would take over her completely and they'd be nothing left.

For she couldn't stop thinking about a certain Professor.

Her Amortentia had only confirmed what she had known deep down but tried to ignore. She liked him, and not just platonically. She had real, meaningful feelings for the first time ever. She had never felt such things towards another person before and in all honestly, it scared her. In fact, she was terrified and she had no idea what to do.

It was Christmas Eve now and whilst she had been told they were hosting guests that evening, she wasn't quite sure what that was going to entail and why it was so vital for her to be there. Thus, a nervous pit had settled at the bottom of her stomach and she sat at the edge of her bed with a shaking leg.

There was a gentle, yet clear, knock at her bedroom door and it pushed open for a House Elf to scuttle in.

Ruby had been the Carrow's House Elf for years and had large bat-like ears and huge brown eyes. She wore a skirt and blouse with a bow, though this was solely only to appease the eye, for really she was nothing more than a servant.