six

CHAPTER 6

ON SUNDAY EVENING DIANA WAS SAT IN THE SLYTHERIN COMMON ROOM

ON SUNDAY EVENING DIANA WAS SAT IN THE SLYTHERIN COMMON ROOM. She rested in front of the crackling fireplace and peered down to her hand, turning it so her palm faced the ceiling. A small flame painlessly kindled from her open palm. Diana didn't know how she could conjure the flame or why but it was a piece of magic she adored. It was entrancing watching the blazing orange flicker in the light. She had first realised she could do such magic sat in the very same spot she was in now. It was in her fifth year and as she watched the common room fire burn a warm sensation suddenly arose in her hand and she looked down to see the tiniest simmer of fire.

"Diana,"

She swiftly closed her hand into a fist, putting out the flame before whoever was there could notice. It was a talent she hadn't told anyone about and she wanted to keep it that way.

Harrison stepped into the common room, broom in hand. He was wearing his green Quidditch uniform though it was filthy. Mud splattered up his shins and shirt and specks spotted across his handsome face. He must have just finished training, he was Slytherin's star Chaser after all.

"What are you doing this evening?" He asked as he walked nearer, pulling off his muddy gloves and tossing them onto the arm of the chair. "I thought we could hang out, like we use to, you know? It's been so long since we did anything together."

Diana did not know for certain what he meant. Whether he purely wanted to spend some harmless time together or something more... You could never tell with Harrison. He had a way of acting and speaking that was deceiving. Not that it mattered that night, she had other plans.

"I can't." She answered. "I have to meet with Professor Lupin. I'm his assistant now."

His face fell, turning into surprise and then fading to upset. "Oh... Well another time, yeah? I've... missed you."

She didn't understand how Harrison could miss her. Yes, they'd had some fun in their time but even when they were together she was never particularly warm or loving. She couldn't fathom what there was to possibly miss. Maybe he just missed the idea of her.

She looked down to her watch. It was nearly eight. She had to leave now or else she would be late.

"I have to go." She said, standing from the sofa and grabbing her bag. "And about missing me, you shouldn't. It's not worth it."

Diana made her way across the old corridors of the castle to Professor Lupin's office for her first session as his assistant. They were to be weekly meetings, all taking place in his office every Sunday evening. It was still unknown entirely what they would involve but as Dumbledore had said she presumed them to be simple, tedious takes such as lesson planning, marking papers, and tidying up. She couldn't say she was particularly looking forward to it, in fact, it was quite the opposite. She was still rather displeased with his assumption that she would be pining after him. That was something she had never done and could never imagine doing, especially over him of all people. Likewise, she enjoyed her solitude. The relaxation of having no one to disturb her and no one to entertain. Now her Sunday evenings were to be spent with company and she was rather dreading it.