Chapter 41

**********************************************************************************************************************

"Okay," Oliver stepped forward and nervously cleared his throat. "Lotty, you have always been an inspiration to me. You are kind, loving, and generous." He turned towards me and raised his glass. "Cheers to you baby sis! You are by far the best of us all. Happy birthday!"

I raised my glass as everyone sang Happy Birthday to me. The bronze lights of the kitchen glowed over their faces, as they laughed at their own off-key rendition of the song. Happiness blossomed in my heart when I looked around at my loved ones. I was missing a few, but this was by far the best birthday I'd ever had.

As the song wobbled to a close I stepped up next to Oliver and wrapped my arm around his waist, offering my silent support. His clammy hand rested on my shoulder as his fingers dug into my skin. I leaned in and dropped a quick kiss on his shoulder, hopefully letting him know that I was here for him—always.

"I have one more thing to say." Oliver sucked in a large breath as he collected himself. "Mom, Dad... I know you guys have been worried about me for a while. I have really struggled to find my place in this world, and I think I've found the root of my problems."

Oliver smiled down at me and squeezed my shoulder. "Actually, Lotty helped me figure it out. I have been struggling for a really long time..." Oliver dropped his head down for a moment, and when he lifted it there were tears in his eyes. I blinked back my own tears as I rubbed his back. A presence behind us caught my attention, and I smiled briefly at Archer who had his hand on Ollie's shoulder.

"I don't know how to say this. But, I'm tired of living a double life. I'm tired of lying. And I am so tired of not being able to be my true self in front of you guys. I'm gay."

The second he said it I turned to my parents. There was a moment of silence then my mom burst into tears. She rushed forward and almost knocked me over as she threw herself at Ollie.

"Oh baby," she wept on his chest. "I am so sorry you felt like you couldn't tell us! I love you so much."

I laughed through happy tears at Oliver's bemused face. He let me go so he could properly hug Mom. I grabbed my heart when I could see his shoulder's shaking. She reached up to pat his head as she whispered in his ear.

When she pulled back, they both had huge grins. Mrs. Johnson bustled forward and grabbed both of Oliver's cheeks, pulling his face down so she could drop a big kiss on his cheek. "You know I love you like a second son, that will never change," she said as she held his face close, making sure he looked her in the eye.

I wiped away tears as I looked around the kitchen, but my brows furrowed when I saw my dad hanging back. He leaned up against the counter, watching us with his arms folded. My mom and Oliver seemed to notice his absence at the same time as they both looked around.

"Tim," my mom said pointedly, "isn't there something you want to say to your son?"

Dad cleared his throat and rubbed his palm over his forehead. "You know I love you Ollie, and I'm not prejudiced. I don't judge how anyone chooses to live their lives. But are you sure? I mean... this is a big decision. I don't want your life to get... harder."

It was silent for a moment as everyone processed my dad's response. I whipped my head towards Oliver and my heart broke as disappointment sank into his features. For a whole two seconds, he had been happy and relieved. Then our dad had ruined it. I waited for a moment to see what was going to happen but a shadow passed over Oliver's face and I could tell he was retreating back into his shell.