12. Psychic connection

Finally the chapter which set ups the climax of the story is here. From here on the whole story takes place in just two nights! I hope you enjoy it!

*****

Pietro had the best view of the harbour from the building's terrace. He laid low, looking at the scene unfolding in front of his eyes. A car arrived at the harbour. Pietro recognised the license plate. It belonged to Stark Industries. Obadiah Stane stepped out of the car and he walked to a man who was already overlooking the task. Pietro saw that they were talking but he was far away to hear anything they said.

"Wish we were able to listen to them talk. They look like the bigshots. They may slip their identities." Thompson's voice came through the com.

"The bald one is Obadiah Stane. He works for Tony Stark" replied Pietro.

"Privilege of attending Stark's parties"

"Will you both shut up and concentrate on the matter in hand?" May's voice cut them off.

Pietro again looked into the binoculars, focusing on Stane. He walked back to his car and got in. Pietro got up from his hiding spot.

"I'm going to trail him" he said as he sprinted to his car.

"Agent Maximoff, stay down" May said firmly into her com. Pietro switched it off and got in the car. As Stane drove away from the harbour, Pietro followed him at a distance.

May can't leave her post now and at the same time she can't let Pietro follow a risky lead alone. She swore as she dialled Natasha's number.

.....

Steve and Natasha were getting ready for their night hunt in Steve's office. Steve took a couple of Howard's latest inventions and pocketed it. They got out of his office and stepped into the elevator. Natasha pressed the button and turned to look at Steve, "So, I heard you and Stark have been hunting while I was gone?" she smirked. "How was the hunt?" she asked raising her an eyebrow.

Steve stared at her with eyes wide.

"Don't look so surprised pretty boy. Both of your auras scream you had sex."

"I would rather jump from a plane without parachute than talk about my sex life."

Natasha laughed. She got into the car and started the engine.

"Shit, I forgot my phone in your office" she said. After a moment she added, "Never mind."

She set off into the night city. They searched the deserted streets for ferals. The night was silent allowing them to hear every small sound. Natasha stopped the car and stepped out. Steve followed her. They analysed the area for any lurking feral. They found a group of seven roaming few blocks away. The ferals were no match to them. They finished them off within few minutes and drove to another part of the city.

They were near Staten Island when they heard a woman scream. Natasha pressed down on the break and opened the door. She got out and ran in the direction of the scream. Steve followed her. He saw a woman was being chased by feral. He jumped in-between the feral and the woman. He stabbed the feral through its heart, turning it to dust. He turned around and saw Natasha trying to calm the woman. He walked up to them. But seeing him approach, the woman backed away scared. Steve stopped advancing and apologised. "Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you."

Once she became calm, they drove her to her apartment.

.....

Pietro followed Stane in his car. Pietro felt like Stane drove through the city aimlessly. He could not work out the destination of Stane. Suddenly, Stane stopped the car and got out. Pietro checked for his gun in his shoulder strap and got out. He maintained his distance from Stane. When Stane turned into a dark alley, Pietro took out his gun and followed him. As he stepped into the alley, he pointed his gun straight ahead. There was nothing but an empty wall. It seemed to be mocking at Pietro. The man who had walked into the alley few seconds before had vanished. Pietro was confused. Where did he go, he thought as he advanced down the alley. Suddenly hair in the back of Pietro's neck stood up. His instinct screamed at him to leave. He turned and a figure jumped in front of him from the top of building. It was Stane.