17. Is this the real life?

Hello fam! Bloodbound has reached 300+ views and 50+ votes. This is the best streak for me. Thanks to my consistent readers.

*****

Present time

Wanda walked out of her office. She needed to talk with her brother. When she went out to the corridor, we saw Pietro near the vending machine. He was already munching on an energy bar and was on the act of acquiring his next.

"Pietro" she called softly.

He turned around to his sister's voice. Even though she spoke in a normal tone, his ears felt it was too loud. His face broke into a grin and he opened his arms to an inviting hug. She rushed to him and enclosed him in a tight hug.

"How are you feeling?"

"Great" he beamed. "Different but good different." He laughed. Her eyes watered with happiness. The thought that she had almost lost him struck her and she held him tightly.

"How are you doing, Wand?"

She looked at him for a moment before answering. "Weird. I need to tell you something." She filled him on what happened earlier that night. She also told him about Howard. He had a puzzled look on his face but didn't judged her.

"You don't have to feel guilty, sis." His voice was soft.

"I am trying. But I feel I violated their privacy."

"Don't worry. We will work out everything like we always do. Maybe Steve might know something about this."

She nodded. "Why are you guys out here?" she asked him indicating to Coulson and Howard loitering around.

"Old couples quarrel" Howard grinned like an idiot.

"Let's go on check on Steve."

The twins made their way to Steve's office. The office door was open and only Steve was sitting on the sofa. There was so sign of Bucky. Wanda slowly walked to Steve and rested her hand on his shoulder grabbing his attention. He looked at her with sad eyes. The twins settled next to Steve and comforted him.

"How are you holding up?"

"I will be fine. By living this long, one thing I have learnt that dwelling on what might have been, it's no way to live."

Wanda gave a sad smile and patted his shoulders.

"How are you, kid?"

"My life is a mess. I don't even know what is happening to me."

"Hey" he said softly, "I might have a clue of what you're experiencing. Once we are done with this situation, we can deal with it" he promised.

"Thanks... I want you to know I didn't intend to see your... your memories."

"I know. I'm not angry at you, kid" he smiled. Wanda returned his smile.

After some time, Coulson and Howard came to Steve's office. After everyone settled in, Steve was the first to break the silence. "I think everyone has many questions they need answers. We have to talk to sort it out." Steve turned to Coulson, "How long have you know I was a vampire?"

Coulson had a small twinkle. Wanda wondered how his eyes held the light even after the incidents that happened an hour ago. He started, "I have known it since I started working here. To say the truth, I am undercover here. I am Phillip J Coulson, Director of S.T.A.K.E. We deal with extraordinary and inexplicable threats." He added with an apologetic smile, "I think I have raised more questions than the ones I have cleared."

"What the fuck? Fury is the director" blurted out Pietro.

"That's just the big picture. Many people forget to look at small picture actually. Director Fury handed the assignment to me last year. Soon after I went undercover, Fury handed me the tool box. Most of the newer recruits don't know for the anonymity of the mission."

Steve closed his eyes and exhaled sharply. He cradled his head on his hand and sighed again. Steve had already had his doubts that Pietro is a secret agent since his drunken confession. His closeness with Natasha and him knowing about S.T.A.K.E confirmed that all three belong to the same organisation.

"What's stake? Why were you undercover?"

"Special Threat Assessment for Known Extranormalities. Fury had his doubts about the vampire involvement in the smuggling practices going on. I thought inside eye will be an added advantage. I took the mission." He said, the sparkle in his eyes still remaining. "Given the situation, I think it's best for me to be in open than undercover."

"Are you saying Steve is involved?" Pietro asked.

"Now I know he isn't. But I was here to spy on him and others. We have had our doubt that a civil war is brewing between the vampires. If the fight goes on full break then it would be very devastating for the civilians."

Steve shook his head. "Before we heard Pietro's dispatch, Natasha was saying Tony is being framed. And she gave me a file." He extended the file towards Coulson. "I don't appreciate you spying on me but I think we need to work together"

Coulson got in and flipped through the pages. "Agent May has sent me some valuable information." He turned to Pietro, "I need the private investigation files from you and Thompson." Pietro wondered how Coulson might know about it. But Coulson continues on, "Along with that we will have a strong case to save Tony."

"Natasha hasn't showed up yet. We need to search her."

"I wouldn't worry about her. Being a one of our best, she can take care of herself. It's Tony I'm concerned about. A group is working to bring him down."

Steve called Tony to let him know about the attack by Stane. He filled him the information about Rumlow and Stane. He ended the call by asking Tony to stay safe.

After ending the call, Steve turned to others, "Let's now concentrate on the matter at hand. We know Tony isn't involved with the smuggling but we need proof to connect Rumlow to it. I hope Natasha comes up with more."

"We need a counter measure if she is not ready" Howard spoke up.

"What do you propose we do?"

"Sway the neutral one to our side. Jiaying has always been neutral. She has a soft spot for you. If we talk to her before the council, then we will have yours, Natasha and Jiaying's vote. We can win the hearing even if Rumlow has strong case. Complete sweep. He can't appeal again."

"Then I will meet up with Tony. We will head to Fountain of Youth" Steve said getting up. He grabbed his coat and exited. 

*****

Thanks for reading! Please leave a vote if you enjoyed it!