Hansel and Gretel

The sun was shining brightly today. I breathed in the fresh air that breezed past me as I trudged along the football field. I was planning to draw the big tree near the field for art so I woke up really early and went to school even before Lance could wake up.

It had been two weeks since that incident with Von at the skate park. Whenever I thought about it, I would feel this strange pang in my heart that wasn't really horrible. I still remembered the feel of Von touching me and whenever I thought of it, a pleasant feeling would settle in my tummy.

It was weird. Really weird.

I stopped on my tracks when I heard familiar voices.

"Why did you want to meet with me?"

"I wanted to see you."

"You know we can't--"

"Happy Birthday, Katie."

I quickly hid myself behind the bleachers overlooking the football field and peeked to see Sid and Kate facing each other. Kate was biting her lip, looking distressed. Sid was holding her arm.

"I was hoping we could go out later to spend your birthday together," he continued with a hopeful expression on his face.

"No, Sid. You know I can't," she began to sob. "Someone might see us. I don't want to cause you any trouble."

"Fuck it!" He released her arm and groaned. "Why do we have to go through this conversation over and over again? What trouble are you talking about?"

Kate cried harder. Sid pulled her in his arms and patted her comfortingly on her back. I frowned. I wondered what was going on with both of them. I was about to creep closer when a twig snapped under my foot, startling them into letting go of each other. I cussed softly.

"Who the hell is there?" Sid called out.

I took a deep breath and came out of my hiding. Kate's eyes widened as she jumped back while Sid cursed.

"Look. First of all, it wasn't my intention to eavesdrop." I raised my hands in defense. "And second, I didn't know it was your birthday today so happy birthday, Kate. And last but not the least, I swear I won't tell anyone of your secret relationship so you don't have to worry."

"What secret relationship?" Sid demanded harshly.

I winced.

"Uh, you guys are dating right? And you're keeping it secret because of some God-knows-what reason."

Kate smiled at me bitterly, eyes all puffy and red. Sid just sighed then ran his hand through his hair.

"We're not secret lovers, you idiot," Kate said softly, giggling a little. "Actually, he's my brother."

My mouth popped open. No wonder they both looked slightly similar to each other. They had the same blond hair and the same gray eyes.

"B-but your last names are different!" I exclaimed, still in shock.

"Our parents divorced," Sid began to explain. "I went with mom while Katie went with dad. We moved to New York then moved back here after 3 years. My mom remarried so my last name is different."

"Why are you both hiding the fact that you're siblings?" I asked. "I mean, it's really not my business but I just can't understand why."

"Katie wants to. Ask her." He looked so hurt and dejected that I immediately felt sorry for him. He exhaled deeply. "Class is starting. I'm gonna go ahead."

We watched him walk away with shoulders slumped in resignation. Kate burst out crying again and I immediately went to her and led her to the bleachers so that she could sit. I didn't want her to collapse on me because she was sobbing and hiccupping so hard.