Fairy Tale Come Alive

I was flying on cloud nine. Von and I were exchanging childhood stories and I couldn't help but stare as his eyes lit up with infectious laughter, his breathtaking smiles trained to me. I beamed at him with delight.

This was truly a dream come true.

"You were so fat!" I exclaimed, earning a scowl from him.

"I wasn't fat. I was just a little chubby," he argued.

"Chubby, my ass." I chortled. "Your pants were practically falling off your butt when I first met you."

"It wasn't! Now you're just making things up."

"I am not. It's true!"

"Hey, they were baby fat. And I shed them off pretty quick."

"Whatever you say, fatso."

He rolled his eyes exasperatedly at me. I grinned cheekily at him, remembering the times Lance teased him when we were kids and how easy it was to piss him off. He always got all red and puffy and stormed off our lawn with Lance laughingly trailing after him.

"Well, even if I was a fatty, you still had a massive crush on me, didn't you?"

I gasped in outrage. "I did not!"

"Yeah, you sure did." He gave me a wolfish smile. "Prince, oh, prince," he continued in a childlike voice. "I am in peril. Pull out your sword and rescue me, my one true love."

I felt blood rush up to my cheeks. I faintly remembered saying those words.

"That was just a game. We were playing!"

"Sure," he drawled, wagging his brows suggestively. "You calling me prince all the time was just a game. Even when we were eating dinner together at your house and even when we were watching television or walking around the park."

"Yes, a game." I nodded frantically. "Whatever. We were kids. You know how obsessed I was with fairytales. Of course, I had to have a prince."

"But choosing me means that you find all the qualities of a prince in me," he pointed out matter-of-factly.

I blushed even more. Maybe I did like him when we were kids. So what? At least he didn't know I was practically in love with him now.

"Hey, isn't it a big coincidence that my father is working for your father?" I abruptly changed the topic. "Or did you have hand on that, too?" I added with suspicion.

"No. I call it God's will. Your dad coincidentally applied for my dad's company and m mentioned that to me because he knew about my summers at your old place. Your dad got the job, you moved, and we met again."

"Huh. What a small world."

"You bet. I'm just happy to see you again."

"Why?" I asked, holding my breath.

He shrugged. "I missed you."

At his words, my heart began to beat erratically, like it was trying to jump out of my chest. Oh, boy.

"Want to dance?"

I burst out laughing. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Why?"

"Remember the last time you invited me to dance with you?"

His lips widened into a smile. "Hell, yeah. I'll never forget." He stood up, and then extended his hand towards me. "But, I'll try not to get punched this time."

I exhaled a laugh and took the hand he offered. He helped me rise and led me a few distance away. When he found an acceptable spot, he turned around to face me and slipped his arms around my waist while I placed my hands gingerly on his chest once more.