A Dream Is A Wish

Von's POV

At first, I thought I was dreaming.

Rei looked like she was flying. In my stupor, I thought she looked like a beautiful avenging angel in her white dress while she wore a furious expression on her face.

But then, I realized Rei was standing over me, not flying, and she was looking down at me.

Why was she looking down at me?

It took me another moment to realize that I was on the ground and that my cheek was throbbing painfully. I poked my cheek with a finger and winced.

"Did you– Did you just punch me?" I muttered perplexedly.

Her furious look slowly melted off her face as realization sunk in. She glanced around, looking uneasy before returning her eyes to me. She opened her mouth to say something but was cut off when she saw someone approach behind me.

"What the hell is going on here?" an irate voice spoke loudly.

Somebody helped me up and I turned to see Lance holding my arm, a worried look on his face. A crowd had formed around us, whispering and pointing.

"Are you okay, man?" he asked.

"Did your sister just hit me?" I started to get mad. "Again?"

I whirled around to confront Rei but she was gone. I looked for her around the gym and spotted a glimmer of a white dress disappearing round the gym doors.

I shrugged Lance's hands off me and went after her immediately. I fingered my cheek gingerly and winced again. That punch surprised the crap out of me. I didn't expect that reaction from her when I confessed I was her childhood bully.

Maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part that she would be overcome with happiness after finally meeting me again. Maybe it wasn't the right time to tell her about me. But, I couldn't wait anymore. After this, I was going to ask her to become my girlfriend and if she resisted, I'll slowly wear her down until I get the single greatest word in the English language.

I spotted her sitting on one of the benches overlooking the football field. My breath caught, my anger dissipating at the sight of her. She looked so forlorn as she stared at the stars in the sky. She was gripping her hands tightly together, her skirts around her. I noticed that she was barefoot, her heels beside her. She must have gotten tired of wearing them, I thought.

I wanted so badly to sit next to her, to wrap my my arms around her and tell her that I loved her, that I always did. I want to be that person who's constantly on her mind, the one who makes her day and the reason behind her non-stop smiles. But, I gave her space for the moment, hoping that she'll end up forgiving me.

I drank the sight of her as I mulled her reaction over once again. I wondered uneasily about what was going on in that pretty little head of hers.

What if she punched me again? Well, I was ready for that reaction this time. If she goes Mulan on me again, I'll gladly take it like a man.

What if she became hysterical? Pfft. The Rei I know wasn't that dramatic.

What if she didn't want to see me again? Well, it was going to be very unfortunate for her because I was never going to grant that. I guess she was going to have to suck it.

She shivered visibly and rubbed her hands vigorously. I finally began to move towards her. I wasn't going to give her more time to over think things and reach the wrong conclusion. She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn't hear me coming at all. I took off my jacket and wrapped them around her, startling her.