Prologue

Insert song: Mai Kuraki - Time After Time

March 3, 2008

I was beyond excited for my fifth birthday. Mom and dad decided to celebrate it this year with dad's relatives. I helped mom prepare for the outdoor picnic. As planned, guests started to arrive one by one. My mom was nervous for some reason, for which dad kept calming her. Mom double checked if everything was there and nothing was lacking when the tables were almost full. A few guests helped her out, making my mom to even become more uneasy. Some guests congratulated me, played with me, and asked me stuff. They put their gifts on a table meant specifically for me.

"Is there anything not here?" my mom whispered to herself.

"Now, now. Mitsuki-chan. You don't have to sweat yourself over the foods," a woman said, "The most important thing is Aoi. Plus, Ebisu is here. If something is lacking, he should be able to take care of it."

"I understand, Uzume-sama. Thank you," my mom replied.

"Ooh. Those katsu looks appetizing. I've never eaten any fried food in years," Uzume-ba-san exclaimed.

"Happy birthday, Aoi-chan!" an old-looking man said to me cheerfully, giving me a koi fish inside a plastic bag, "I have to give it to you in person since this can't be stacked."

"What do you say when someone gives you something?" mom reminded.

"Thank you... um... jiji-chan!" I said hesitantly.

"Wahahaha. You guys hear that? He said grandpa to Ebisu!" dad laughed.

I don't understand why was it funny, looked around holding my newly given fish. I was only saying it since he seems like dad's dad.

"I don't mind being a grandpa to such a cute child!" he pinched my cheeks softly, tying a string to my finger, "So it won't fall off."

"He is one of a kind. Celebrating his birthday on March third meant for girls," an aged looking woman, weirdly emitting light from behind her.

"Eh, who cares? It's an old-time tradition, Ama-san," my dad replied.

"And he is really pretty too! More than a girl," a young woman commented.

"I second the praise!" another woman added.

"Hehe. You are right, Isshoten, Benten! I want him to be as pretty as a princess and as powerful as a warrior!" my dad lifted me up and carried me on his arms.

"By the way, my present for you is your first hakama, son," the old woman gave me some kimono set.

I took it from her but didn't understand what to do with it.

"Thank you, obaa-chan!" I hugged it.

"If both of you are grandpa and grandma, then what does that make us?" a woman pouted, "Why are you two taking the form of old people anyway?"

"I mean why not? It's appropriate for my age and it makes me look wiser than these goofs," grandpa said back, "I could send it back to you. Why are you not looking like your age, mother?"

"In denial, maybe?" grandma added.

"You insolent children!" the woman acted angry, but laughed afterward, "I mean, it could be the reason."

"Have you seen Tsuku-san?" a man holding a small notebook and a pen asked.

"She is scared of Amaterasu, Tenjin," a huge-looking man said.

"Are you still mad at her?" my dad said to grandma.

"No. It's her who keeps on holding her grudge against me," grandma sipped her tea calmly.