Mission Failed

Koyuki POV

"Thank you! Thank you so much for saving my village!" The old cheif cried out to me along with some other villagers. I bent down to him and patted his shoulder while smiling warmly at him.

"What reward do you wish for? Anything inside my power.." He asked. I looked around the surrounding. This village was prone to demons but I had now cleared off the area. The village however, was damaged. I spotted two crying children. They were hugging a corpse of a woman. I frowned. I pointed at them. The cheif looked confused as I point at them.

"Tell me..those kids over there. Is that their mother?" The cheif and I walked over to them. We had reached them and he nodded. They looked around the age of 6 and 8. Both male as well. I tapped the chief's shoulder.

"I'll take them." The chief's eyes widened. He told me that they would just be a hindrance and could have just asked for any other reward. I shook my head. The cheif sighed.

"Well then, as you wish. You may take the children with you." The kids looked at me with eyes full of sorrow. One of them asked me.

"Will..You really take us in?" The poor child asked. The other one also chimed in.

"We'll just be a hindrance to you nee-san.." I pat their heads. I kneeled down beside them and they were both confused. I prayed for the peace of their mother. Once I was done I took hold of their hands. They had calmed down a bit but they were still sniffling.

"Your mother. I'm sure that she would've wanted the both of you to live a peaceful life filled with happiness and love." I paused.

"For your mother and the two of you's sake, I will take you in." I hugged them close to me. They agreed to come with me.

After I had gotten all my belongings from the village, me and the children waved them goodbye and went back to the headquarters. It was a big far but we could manage. The boys' names were Hiro and Keigo. Then while we were walking, Keigo tugged the sleeve of my haori.

"We don't really know anything about you yet nee-san." I smiled and held their small hands tighter.

"Koyuki. Nao Koyuki. I'm 18 years old and I'm in the Demon Slayer Corps." Then it was Hiro's turn to ask something.

"Is that why you have two swords? And what does this bamboo bag in your back contain?"

"Yes and it just contains my clothes,quill and paper." They just nodded.

At the Headquarters
Koyuki POV

We had arrived back. Everyone greeted me as I walked past them and returned their greetings.

"Welcome back Nao-san!"

"Thank you dear. I see you've come back from a mission too, so welcome back as well." She smiled at me and went off. The kids were staring at me with awe. I showed them inside the headquarters where they were overwhelmed by the people with their swords so they hid behind my feet. It was cute. I heard a hearty laugh as I looked towards where the sound was coming from. I smiled at the two males in front of us.

"Haha! I see Koyu-san has adopted some children once again!" Rengoku Kyojirou, the Flame Pillar said.

"Your flamboyant attitude with children never ceases to amuse me, Koyuki-chan!!" Uzui Tengen, the Sound Pillar laughed. I laughed along with them.

"Thank you, you two. Now I have to get going or else these children will have a panic attack from your loudness." They smiled and walked along. We were now at the Moon estate. The Shoji door opened revealing the Insect Pillar with Aoi, carrying a basket of wisteria flowers with them. They greeted me.

"Hello Koyu-san. I see there's another addition to your family today." Shinobu smiled. I laughed with her.

"Yes and I see you've collected the ingredients for the wisteria poisen in your sword." She nodded and went off with Aoi.

"Now, I'll show you around the estate okay?" They both nodded.

A few months later
Koyuki POV

I had just finished another mission. It was snowing,my favourite time of the year. My silver hair blended along with the snow as I ran through the woods. My kaisugarai crow was leading me to my next mission immediately. I was heavily injured on the mission I had just finished. Unfortunately, it seemed to be an emergency.

"Caw! You must head to mountain-!!" My eyes widened. My kaisugarai crow just had it's head split. I was pushed down onto the snow. I immediately used my right sword to prevent it from biting me. I cursed mentally. I was an ambush attack. This demon had demon blood arts. He disappeared once again. I, however was no longer in a trance and immediately listened closely. There you are. I heard his heartbeat 5 feet away from me already. You're going nowhere.

"Moon Breathing.."

"Fourth form: Lunar Dance"

With that, I had both blades in my hand and once I reached the Demon, I twisted my torso and slashed his all his limbs, including his head, apart. I watched as he cursed at me in his final moments and crumbled to ashes. I prayed for his rebirth in another world despite what he had done. I turned around and took a step. Just a step but then..I suddenly blacked out.

Butterfly Estate
Shinobu POV

Koyuki was now lying on the bed, her injuries were severe. Recently, she had gotten busier with both the kids and her continuous missions. I sighed. She doesn't get the healing she needs because of the simultaneous missions here and there. She twitched. Her eyes started fluttering awake, revealing her pastel purple orbs.

"Morning!" However, unlike usual, she was suddenly tense. She grabbed my shoulders and I was taken aback by her unusual reaction. She breathed in deeply.

"I failed! My kaisugarai crow was leading me to my next mission when a demon sliced it. Please tell me that somebody took over that mission! It sounded like an urgent one." I frowned a little and pushed her back to bed.

"Koyu-san, missions are important but mind your health first.." I told her.

"Besides, Tomioka-san took over it in your place." She just sighed in releif and I smiled warmly at her. She was also granted a one week break.

TO be continued
Hello! I hope you liked the first chapter! The next chapter will be the attacks Koyuki uses and also, any form of criticism is happily accepted to improve my writing. Stay home,stay safe and stay tuned.