Chapter 15: the creator of the ghosts

"Finally! We're down in the pipe room!" I yelled in relief, however that of course didn't last too long as many green fish ghosts appeared and swarmed around me and Luigi. To make matters worse, there were also grabbing ghosts.

I managed to capture a grabbing ghost however, one had the chance to grab me. But Luigi quickly caught it before it could do any damage. After the third and final grabbing ghost was taken out the room lit up and a chest appeared behind the waterfall. Luckily there was some ice element to freeze the water.

"Do you think it's safe to cross?" I asked Luigi, however I got no response. I turned around to see Luigi staring right at me with wide, worried eyes, "Luigi...?"

"Ah! Umm I mean...Y-yeah?"

I shook my head, "nevermind..." I looked at the frozen water and I was about to step on however I felt Luigi grab my shoulder. "Are you alright?"

He didn't look back and just stepped on the ice without saying a word, he then turned the wheel and the waterfall stopped, allowing us to get the key without getting wet. Luigi got the key and returned back to me. "This key leads to the room next to us..."

Luigi was about to exit but I swiftly turned him around, "what gives, huh?" I asked as the plumber avoided eye contact, "why won't you look at me?"

"Your scar...I just feel like it's mocking me for not being able to get you to safety in time," Luigi confessed, as he finally looked me in the eyes, holding my face in his hand and caressed my cheek, gently touching the scar with his fingers. "S-sorry..."

I let out a small sigh and gave him a loving smile, "honestly Luigi, I'm fine, really. I see why it taunts you, but I don't think any of us could prevent it." Luigi let go and looked down, I gave him a quick hug, "I'll be fine, come on Luigi, let's go into the next room!"

Both of us made our way to the room next door only to be met with a chilling air, "it's f-f-freezing!" Luigi stuttered through chattering teeth. We entered the cold storage and met with a room completely covered in ice. I tried to take a step, only to fall onto my butt, "Y/N look out!"

I immediately reacted and transformed into my cat form and skidded across the ice and sat on a crate in the corner of the room, watching as icicles fell where I ran. "Thanks Luigi..." I huffed. Slowly, I padded back towards Luigi, who was beside a camp fire that was lit. Your friend was facing away from something, a ghost appeared to be stuck in some ice. Next to him were two campfire's, which weren't lit.

Slowly I approached the ghost, his eyes looked towards me for a moment before looking back at Luigi in the corner, trying to warm himself up. I glared at the ghost and felt myself become a little heated, suddenly I somehow let out a small puff of fire from my mouth. "What was that?" I heard Luigi asked. I turned towards him and flicked my three tails.

"Hold on, better get some fire element from that campfire over there," I meowed sternly. Luigi grabbed the element and I let out little puffs of purple fire on the campfire's. Causing the ghost to fully appear.

"OOOH! TOO HOT! YOUR MAKING TOO HOT! I'M HOING TO BURN IN THIS HEAT, I'M GOING TO MELT!!" The ice climber ghost shrieked. Clearly he was overreacting, as he's not made of ice. "WAS IT YOU WHO LIT THESE FIRES!? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?"

"...this mansion is nothing!" I snapped back, "this whole mansion is just an illusion, you frostbite gremlin!"

He looked taken aback by this, but his expression instantly changed to anger, "HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME LIKE THAT! YOU BETTER BE READY TO PAY THE PRICE!"