Zuko || In the Snow

After the war had concluded, all of the nations worked together to repair the damage that had been done by the Fire Nation. With Zuko now in charge, the civilization could finally make up for what had happened. Having said that, being the fire lord at sixteen was not an easy task. 

I could tell that it was taking a toll on him, even though he had been doing his best to hide it. People constantly came to the former prince, begging him to help them, which he always agreed to do. 

While that was not necessarily a bad thing, it became very overwhelming very fast, so I decided I would find a way to ease the pressure.

________________________________________________________________________________

"A vacation? (Y/N), we have duties to do here! I have duties to do here. I promised I would help fix my father's mistakes, and I am not even remotely close to doing that!" The former prince ranted. 

"That is exactly why you need a vacation, Zuko. You have been putting way too much pressure on yourself. Besides, you have years and years ahead of you to worry about all of that," I responded, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"Oh and I also already reached out to the rest of our friends, who all agreed already." I muttered under my breath.

"What was that?" Zuko asked, a look of confusion plastered on his face. However, before I could repeat my words, the door to our office busted open, revealing the Avatar and our group of companions that we had traveled with. 

"Flameo hotman!" Aang yelled, causing me to laugh. I turned my gaze to look at Zuko, who was halfway through a face palm. 

"(Y/N)....." he started, but I cut him off.

"Before you ask, no, there is no getting out of this. We are just going down to the Southern Water Tribe for a couple days, so you will be back before your next meeting with your advisors." I then turned to the others, who were grinning sheepishly. 

"Alright, we will meet you by Appa in fifteen minutes, as we need to pack." They all nodded before turning and exiting the room. 

"Zuko, come on. This will be fun!" When I turned back to look at my boyfriend, his head was still in his hands. He softly sighed, but instead of a sigh of disappointment, it sounded more like a breath of relief.

"Fine." 

________________________________________________________________________________

Fifteen minutes later, we had all loaded onto the flying bison, with the exception of Zuko, who was talking to his uncle. He had called him in to watch over the large estate, and to take care of any business that was needed. After a quick exchange, the fire lord walked back towards us, climbing aboard, then turning to give his relative one last wave. We all waved as well, and then focused on getting comfortable for the long journey. 

"Yip yip, Appa" Aang said excitedly. Within a few seconds, we felt ourselves being lifted off of the ground. The air was filled with a mix of excitement and exhaustion, but once the original wave of adrenaline passed, I could tell that everyone was really tired. Zuko, who was sitting next to me, seemed to be the most worn out of the group. He had large bags under his eyes, which were hard to ignore. 

"Pst, Zuko," I whispered, just loud enough to get his attention. He hummed to reply, and I rolled my eyes. 

"Come here," his attention was now fully on me, as he was confused once again. I held my arms out, motioning for him to move closer. Once he had figured out what I was implying, he hesitantly moved towards me, placing his head on my shoulder. My arms tightened around him, and his body seemed to relax. 

"Get some rest. We will arrive tomorrow, and Katara and Sokka can show us around. You deserve a break, and we are on vacation after all." I told him, quickly planting a kiss on his forehead. My shoulder moved as he nodded softly, before his breathing started evening out. I started to run my fingers through his hair, knowing how much this calmed him. Within moments, his soft snores rang out in the air, and I smiled happily to myself, knowing he was finally resting. 

________________________________________________________________________________

The serenity did not last long. Immediately after we had settled down in the Southern Water Tribe, Sokka had the fantastic idea of having a snowball fight. So, we all pulled on our jackets, and headed outside. 

It was lightly snowing, causing me to tilt my head back and catch some snowflakes on my tongue. I giggled softly, then turned to look back at Zuko. He was shivering, even in his multiple layers of clothing.

"Did you forget that you are a fire bender?" He scoffed at this. 

"No, it is just too cold to-" his teeth started chattering, causing him to stop in the middle of his sentence. 

"Alright, here." I walked closer to him, taking his hands in mine. A light pink tinted his cheeks, but I ignored it, focusing on rubbing his hands together. 

"Better?" He nodded, then proceeded to create a little fire in his palm. The light allowed for the glimmer in his eyes to be visible, and I realized that he finally looked at peace. No, he looked genuinely happy.

"(Y/N)? Are you okay? You are staring." This pulled me out of my thoughts, and I smiled at him. 

"Yeah, I am alright."

"Hey?"

"Hmm?" I responded, looking up and meeting his golden eyes with my (e/c) ones. Before I could even react, he pulled me into a tight embrace. 

"Thank you. For taking me here, I mean." He murmured. I wrapped my arms around him, returning the hug. 

"No problem, my lord." I teased, causing a soft laugh to erupt from him. Suddenly, I felt something cold hit my face. Pulling away from Zuko, I turned my head around to look for the culprit. Once my eyes landed on a very smug looking Sokka, I knew that it was him. 

Quickly, I picked up some snow in my hand, and started running towards him. The boy shrieked, and started sprinting away from me, but it was too late. I dropped the large ball of snow that I had in my hands down his shirt. 

"What the heck (Y/N)!" He screamed, causing all of us to double over in laughter. 

"Hey, you interrupted the lovebirds, you had it coming." Katara responded, trying to catch her breath. Toph and Aang were still laughing at Sokka, who was desperately trying to warm himself up, and failing miserably. The snow had soaked through his shirt, causing it to stick to the nearest surface: his body. 

"That was so not cool!" He feigned annoyance, crossing his arms over his chest. Toph grabbed his arm, pulling him along behind her. 

"I am taking him to get a change of clothes," she announced. Katara and Aang followed after, with Katara saying something about a hot broth recipe to help warm us up. I felt a soft tugging on my arm, and looked down to see Zuko intertwining his much larger hand with mine. 

"We should head inside. It is way too cold out here." He breathed out, and I nodded, giving his hand a squeeze. 

Suddenly, I had an idea. 

"Race you!" I exclaimed, dropping his hand and making a dash for the door. With my head start, I  was able to beat him there, leaving a very flustered Zuko out in the cold.

________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: yay another update! he might be a little ooc here, but it was a fun idea, so here i am updating again. per usual, i do not own the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, nor any of the characters, and all rights belong to Nickelodeon and the creators. i will see you all in the next update, and if you have any suggestions, feel free to leave a comment, and i will read them. 

bye benders and non-benders! (you may choose whichever you would like to be, that is totally based on what you would like)

-your author (as i could end up changing my username at some point)