Chapter 8( Don't Take Me Home)

Your P.O.V

The first two days Sofia and I avoided each other the best we could. The only time we were together is when we had a meal with her family or just catching up with them. Two days of avoiding each other and two days of me trying to fix my relationship with Sarah.

I know I probably shouldn't have come here but honestly, her family was the only people I had left to call family. Even with Sofia and I not talking right now they still didn't treat me any differently. Sarah's family on the other end made sure I only spoke when spoken too. They were the asshole, well her parents her sisters were pleasant to be around. They weren't as family-oriented as Sofia's family was, which is why Sarah usually never went home. I had only met her family a handful of times and we had been together for over a year and a half. I knew they didn't like me but I know that I should've gone with Sarah instead to at least try. I should've at least tried for her, but I didn't and that meant I wasn't doing my job as a girlfriend.

I sighed sitting outside on the back deck of the house as I watched the sun begin to rise. Today Jose had a company party which meant we would be attending. Unfortunately, no matter how many times I tried to get out of it he would simply tell me I was family and that I would be attending. After that, there were no further arguments. I looked down at my phone pulling up Sarah's number and calling her again.

"You know one of these days I won't pick up for you," She mumbled picking up after the third ring. I smiled softly sitting back in the chair as I looked out at the sky. "I know but I'll keep calling until I run out of hope," I spoke carefully leaning my head back into the chair. "I miss you."

"I miss you too but you made your choice," Sarah spoke causing me to groan. "I know and I'm sorry, but I promise I'm going to make this better," I mumbled running my hand through my hair as I slowly began relaxing listening to my girlfriend's voice. "I've been thinking," Sarah spoke after a few moments of silence which only made me bite my lip nervously. "Well, why don't you share?"

I stood up walking further into the backyard of the house," I'm not mad that you decided to go back home with Sofia to see her parents. I know that you don't talk to your family, so I'm trying to be as understanding as I can. " I couldn't help the smile that crossed my face for a split second before she continued. "I think I'm just disappointed because we've been together for long that I just want you comfortable around my family. I want you to consider my family your family because maybe in the future they will be." I nodded listening only to realize that she couldn't see me. "I love you Sarah Marie Jeffery, and I really appreciate you trying to see it from my point of view. I promise I'm going to work harder and building a bond with your family because you're right. Eventually, your family will be mine and I'm sorry that I didn't come home with you. I promise it was last minute and I don't know at the moment I was scared, excited. I felt like coming back I would have a piece of home so I just went with it. I wanted to see Laura and see if Jose has given her any grey-haired yet. I wanted to see if his voice had got any deeper or his jokes had gotten any better because God they were horrible," I spoke causing Sarah to laugh along with me.

"But baby the future is ours. You and I. I love you," I spoke smiling as the wind picked up. "I love you too Y/N," I heard her sigh happily causing me to close my eyes enjoying the moment. Communication and understanding.

I stood outside talking to Sarah a bit longer, listening to her speak about her week had been. How she would be babysitting her nephew's tonight and her plans for the rest of the week. It hasn't even felt like we had been on the phone for long. Maybe I was just missing her a lot more than usual especially since we weren't together. Two hours later we eventually told one another goodbye and that we would talk a bit later. I couldn't help but smile as I slipped my phone back into my pocket as I made my way back into the house.