Twenty-Nine

I smiled into the early spring sunshine, a fresh coat of concealer smeared across my neck. It had been two days since Kyler's visit to my bedroom, and life was back to its normal rhythm. I went to classes during the day and stayed at Ben's apartment at night. As Beth and I walked through the courtyard, she yammered on about the new guy she was sleeping with - our Wednesday morning tradition.

"Wait a minute. Who the hell is that?!" Beth suddenly asked, pulling me into her side. I glanced up, even though I could already feel him. Leaning against an oak tree behind the English building was the most beautiful man I had ever seen. The sunlight made his golden hair glow while his black sunglasses hid the smirk in his Brown Eyes.

"I don't know," I lied, trying not to give Kyler the satisfaction of me staring at him. I continued walking, but Beth grabbed my arm again.

"Well, he is smokin' hot and totally staring at you. You should go talk to him." I rubbed the spot of poor concealment on my neck as the hickey raged on, none of the online remedies getting rid of the damn thing. I pulled Ben's oversized baseball jacket closer around my shoulders.

"I don't know him, and he looks like a major tool. We should just get to class." Beth rolled her eyes. "We can't be late again after last week's day drinking disaster." I pressed my lips together to keep from smiling, knowing neither one of us felt a shred of remorse over the events of last week. My mind flashed back to when we went to Bash's for hours, tripping our way back through campus to several faculty members' chagrin. Drinking after the season was discouraged, but tolerated at best. I grabbed Beth's hand and she turned away from Kyler and followed me to Sociology class, the only one we shared. She was currently majoring in foreign affairs and minoring in business so our coursework had little in common. Beth turned around to steal one last glance at Kyler before the door closed behind us. If she only knew how complicated Kyler was, she wouldn't be half as interested in him.

"Who knows, maybe Mr. GQ will be my next conquest..." Beth whispered salaciously, unpacking and arranging her writing utensils in a perfect row on her desk, ignoring my scowl and the way Scott stared at her from across the room.