Fifty

"Hey!" I protested ripping my auburn hair from my face. Ben's bright blue eyes were wild, frantic, and his cheeks were wet from crying, just like they looked in my vision. My stomach rolled. I reached out a hand for him, but my head was spinning, and I teetered a little more. My brain begged to show me the vision again, but I pushed the images away, trying to focus on the broken man in front of me.

"Sorry Perry," he mumbled, wiping at the tears on his face, before hurrying away from me. I staggered after him, forcing my mind to calm down.

"Ben!" I cried out, but he didn't turn and instead picked up his pace. The brightness of the vision faded in and out of focus as I attempted to chase after him, bumping into the side of the historic brick buildings like I was drunk. "Ben, wait!" I cried again, but he wasn't listening to me. He seemed panicked, like he was fleeing from something, or someone. Out of breath, I hunched over in front of the administration building and my heart stopped altogether when I realized where I was. In the vision, the bad thing had happened to Ben directly behind this building. That was when I heard the familiar voice.

"You stupid, stupid boy," the harsh female voice chided. "You had one job: to keep her away from The Protection, but you couldn't even do that, could you?" I could hear Ben gasping for air. I found my legs again and moved forward slowly. "Don't you know who her father is? What kind of horrible things he's done?" the voice demanded before another deep voice cut in.

"I can't believe she is bold enough to defy The Resistance. Does she have any idea who we are?! We deserve respect!" the voice roared. More rustling, like a struggle was taking place. I crept closer.

"I thought the rabbit and the phone calls would scare her, but she's persistent," Ben insisted. I crept to the edge of the building, willing myself the courage to look around to the other side. I had to see who Ben was talking to. I had to see who was behind it all. Behind the chaos and the violence and the torment. I stole myself one last breath before I rounded the corner. My gray eyes met the most beautiful pair of sapphire blue ones. Eyes that were all too familiar....