Forty-Six

After back to back episodes, Kyler continued to watch, enthralled, on the edge of his seat. He was perplexed by what some considered to be America's royal family.

"Wait, why did Kourtney and Scott really break up? And then after they broke up they had another baby?!" he asked incredulously. I turned off the television trying not to laugh.

"Yes. That's why the show is about keeping up with them, because their lives are all so insane," I admitted, and he continued to sit for several moments staring at the now black television screen, his mouth agape, and his mind racing a million miles an hour. I grabbed for his hand feeling the dynamic connection course through me. His eyes snapped to mine in a moment, the television program forgotten.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked, unsure of myself for the first time all evening.

"Anything," he responded, turning to face me the rest of the way, giving me his full attention.

"If I really am a Seer, what kinds of things should I be able to do? I know you mentioned the ability would transform from feelings into visions, but what comes next?" I asked, toying with Beth's gold knit throw blanket hanging on the back of the couch.

"Well, naturally once your abilities present themselves, you would attend The Academy to learn how to hone your skills and develop your role within the organization. After roughly a year, give or take, you would graduate and receive your first assignment." He took a pull from his beer. Relaxed. He was in his element to discuss the organization he had grown up in. I thought back to the vision I had of Kyler at graduation, at sixteen.

"How old are most Protectors when they go to The Academy?" I asked as I took a drink of my own beer. The special brew was just as good as I remembered, smooth and way too easy to drink. I glanced down at the three empty bottles on the coffee table.

"Most are eighteen, but some of us are just early bloomers," he responded, feigning cockiness. I shoved his shoulder a little. "After The Academy you go off on your assignment, and The Protection places you where you are needed the most. As a Seer, you would go to your designated area, to the house or apartment The Protection provides for you. You would be matched with another Protector, more than likely one with either strength or speed, or someone with both - like me, to assist you when you have a vision. Most healers stay at The Loft or other designated healing centers scattered throughout the country. Once you are matched, you stay under the radar, living in the community, waiting for your next vision and who you can save. I'm sure you've already noticed, with the few visions you've had, events unfold pretty quickly after you envision them." I thought back to the skateboarding assault and how quickly the assault took place. I saw Dalan get shoved by the Chapel in my vision, and Alex began his tirade in a matter of minutes. It was the same way with the vision of the young girl struck by a car outside of the library. But when I touched Christine it had been different. I had seen something that transpired in the past; seen what would have happened had The Protection not intervened. I witnessed her twisted, broken path through the Center and into recovery.

"I don't know if I ever told you what happened the night I broke up with Ben, and I drove to your house to see you. I had another vision." I admitted, swallowing the pain at the memory of seeing Kyler and Alana together that night, thinking they were having a romantic date. Kyler sat up and placed his beer onto the coffee table. He leaned in a little, his eyes blazing, intense, curious.

"Tell me," he commanded.

"After I left Ben's apartment, I walked down the steps and saw a girl from one of my classes, Christine. She looked so sad and lonely, so I walked over to her, and when I touched her I saw something. It was a vision, but different. I saw her last year, when she tried to commit suicide. She had the gun in her mouth and was sobbing, but then all of a sudden she was transported to this beautiful, tropical place. A woman from The Protection said they had saved Christine and that she was at a place they called The Center. She wasn't alone either. The Protection was treating several other suicide patients." I watched as Kyler frowned.