Forty-four

"Perry. Perry," a gravelly voice whispered somewhere in my subconscious. A strong pair of arms held me close to a strong chest.

I was in the courtyard again and Peter was there, his face menacing, ripping at my bra. I tried to scream, but couldn't. I slammed my fists against him but he was so strong.

"Perry, quit," the voice growled, and I sat up abruptly slamming my head directly into Kyler's. We both grabbed for our foreheads and tried not to laugh at the sight of one another. He touched the tender spot on my face, his eyes locking onto mine, and suddenly I couldn't laugh, I couldn't breathe. The weeks we had spent apart had somehow made me forget how unbelievably beautiful he was. My eyes traced slowly along his strong smooth jawline, pausing on his full lips, and again on the way his brown eyes sparkled. My long fingers gripped his broad shoulders and pulled him into me and held him tight. I needed this. I needed him. I needed our bodies and minds to be connected as one. I relished the way my entire being tingled with need, like a million sparking molecules from his nearness. I wasn't sure anything I would learn in medical school could describe this epic feeling. My eyes flew open and I gasped against his chest. Medical school.

Kyler's eyes dreamily opened, but creased once he saw my panicked expression. I scanned my surroundings frantically. We were sitting on the floor of my bathroom. The towel rack was hanging by a screw over top of me. I felt for the back of my head and found the large knot that seemed to dissipate beneath my fingertips. I had hit my head there, after I had read the letter. The memories all rushed back to me in quick succession and I stood unsteadily, ignoring the way the room tilted as I hurried back into my bedroom. The letter was gone. The only sign it or the package had been here at all was a light pink stain on my white comforter from the bloody rabbit's foot.

"It was just here," I screamed, lifting up sheets and throwing piles of laundry across the room.

"What was just here? What are you talking about?" Kyler asked. I pushed my fists against my eyelids.

"The letter, the promise, the damn foot," I insisted, and he looked even more perplexed.

"Perry, knock it off with the riddles. What's got you so on edge?" I paced the room, still searching. "And why were you passed out on the floor of the bathroom when I got here? Did you take something?" he accused, narrowing his beautiful eyes. I stopped pacing and shook my head enthusiastically.

"What?! No! I didn't take anything, I got another death threat." His eyes flew to mine, disbelieving.

"Impossible," he growled, storming into the bathroom and throwing open the shower curtain. "I was watching over you. I would've known if you were in danger." He insisted as he stalked the perimeter of my room, like an enraged pit bull, his blood boiling. Being so close to him after being apart was overwhelming. I could practically taste the fury radiating off of him and it was intoxicating. "What did the death threat say?" he snarled, throwing open my window ready to spring outside towards an unknown assailant. I grabbed him by the hand and closed my eyes, focusing on calmness and serenity. I thought if I could feel his rage maybe he could feel my peace too. If I had other abilities, I must have the peace voodoo thing too, right? I focused all my energy on feeling at ease, slowing my heart rate, picturing myself resting my head on his chest that night that we had danced in my room. And it worked. Microscopically. I watched as his shoulders began to ease and his breathing slowed under my influence. Once I was satisfied no heads would roll, I began to explain. I gave him small pieces, one at a time.

"I got into medical school," I whispered and his lips turned up at the edges. His hand squeezed mine.

"That's great news! Isn't that what you always wanted?" I nodded feeling the tenderness in his voice.

"Yes, but then it said 'someone will die' if I choose not to go. And it had the dead rabbit's foot for good luck." I felt his hand fall and he began to rub his jaw. A human tendency transferred onto a man who was anything but human. "I always wanted to go to medical school, but now I'm not sure what I want. With you, with The Protection needing me..." I trailed off focusing on the rabbit's blood stain on my comforter. I hadn't admitted this to anyone, much less myself. If I had these freaky powers and could save more people, to the point where I was a threat to those who wanted to do harm, shouldn't I use them? Plus, I would be closer to Kyler. Who knew what would happen if I left Dallas for Portland. Could he come or would we be over? The thought made me feel sick.

"Hey, we'll figure out who's doing this, and make them pay," he said, touching my chin and lifting my eyes to meet his. "And you won't have to give up medical school either," he soothed. I had seen Kyler in action and shivered at the thought of what he would do to whoever had hurt me. So much for no heads will roll. "I never got to choose," he said cringing. "And I don't want The Protection to take your choice away too." He stroked my cheek but I couldn't help but recoil a little. He didn't want me to be part of his organization. He wanted me to move away and pursue my own path. A path without him. I had been foolish to think I was enough. I turned before he could see the tears I brushed away from my eyelashes. I knew he could feel me, could feel my despair, but he couldn't understand that in that moment, I would rather someone die, an innocent, than lose him. It was against everything he was bred to believe. It was selfish and vile, and I was ashamed for having the thought, but I knew it was true. The flowers smiled at me, and I wanted to throw them against the wall. The petals sagged a little under my gaze. "Look, you graduate this weekend, and I refuse to let anything happen to you. After that we'll figure out the rest. The chips will fall and life will continue to move on, but above all else, you and I will be okay," he promised, enveloping me in a hug from behind. I leaned back into him, soaking in his warmth. The bathroom mirror reflected back two people in love, hopelessly in love. I smiled a sad smile at the image of us, praying this time wouldn't be the last time he held me this way.