Thirty

When class was over, I pushed through the doorway with the other students to find a handsome man waiting for me. He was leaned against the wall, texting on his cell phone. Bored. I smiled. Ben. Despite his English class ending twenty minutes ago, he waited to walk me. The sentiment wasn't lost on me, and I smiled pleased that I had given him a second chance, despite the overwhelming wave of boredom I felt when he kissed me. Still, I stalked over to him and threw my arms around his neck. I tried to ignore the way that every girl in the hallway stared at his boyish good looks. It was hard to deny how handsome he was. Understated. Messy. So unlike Kyler, who was always so put together. Charming. Irresistible. I shook my head. I shouldn't be thinking about Kyler, not now. Not while I was still in Ben's arms.

I turned my focus back to him. His dark facial hair was threatening to become a full fledged beard any day now. I ran my fingers through it as I kissed him. He smiled against my mouth, and I smiled back. I opened my eyes to find his eyes watching me. They were so blue. He pushed the door open, and I linked my fingers through his, smiling again into the sunshine. We walked slowly discussing our day and making plans to spend even more time together this evening. Nice normal couple conversation, beautifully simplistic.

We walked serenely all the way to the double doors of the library, and before I turned the handle, I felt a different pull a few feet away. Magnetic. Intense. Kyler. Sitting on a swinging park bench across the courtyard. Frowning as his hands clenched and unclenched the chain of the swing. I smiled, grabbing for Ben's hand once more.

"Hey babe, I forgot something," I breathed, pulling him close to me, crushing my lips against his as hard as I could. His response was immediate and carnal, picking me up and pushing me against the side of the building, imagining we were alone. Only I knew differently. As we kissed, I heard the swing shake violently and felt the pull of Kyler disappear further into the library behind me, out of view. I smiled and pushed Ben away as I slid down the wall, the backs of my legs scraping along the rough bricks. His face was flushed and his breathing was forced as I collected my backpack.

"God, I love you," Ben laughed. My flattered smile was my only response.