October 3rd

Title: Rise Up
Prompt: Inspired by a song

A/N: Song is Rise Up by TheFatRat. This one-shot explores what happened after S6EP7 Wishmasters.  

Fierce winds whipped through their hair as mist from the salty sea slapped them in the face. Another dynamite barrel fell from the sky, dangerously close.

"Watch out Nya," Jay screamed. Nya pulled up on the reins of their combined energy dragon to avoid the explosion.

Flintlock was on their six, sending a volley of shots to knock them out of the sky. The energy dragon responded to Nya's command for evasive maneuvers. Based on the ferocity of the attack, Jay was certain Flintlock didn't care if he hit them with his shots.

They continued to dodge attacks, zigging and zagging through the air on their powerful beast, a creation that should be impossible. That seemed to be the theme of everything happening thus far. Impossible.

The dragon pulled up as they approached the shoreline and they saw something that gave them hope. The Ninjago City police force was lined on the beach and opened fire on Flintlock.

Relief washed over Jay. Reinforcements. They still had a chance.

It was in that moment, that he finally had a minute to relax, that it hit him. The others were gone, and it was his fault. He tugged off the eye patch in frustration and resisted the urge to slump against Nya's back.

"They came to rescue me, and-- And now they're all gone. Everyone's gone." His were eyes stung with tears that refused to fall and the back of his throat burned.

"Well, I'm not," Nya tried to reassure him, "And you heard Lloyd. He saw beyond today. It had to be like this." She felt a pang of guilt creep into her stomach. Jay's voice was timid and uneven and it made her heart hurt.

"But now he's going to come after you," Jay said. Just that thought alone made his stomach churn. "When will it be enough? When will it end? I-- I can't stand losing anymore." I can't lose you too.

"I can't stand losing either, but Lloyd saved us for a reason. Let's just hope by the time we see Nadakhan again, we figure out what that reason is."

As they approached the beach, the police were cheering their arrival. Their energy dragon dissolved away as they landed on the sandy shoreline. Before Jay had even a chance to respond to Nya's reassuring words, they were swarmed with officers.

"You did it!"

"Welcome back!"

"We will beat this genie!"

"All right, stop crowding, make some space," the police commander said as he approached with his detectives. Paramedics were also there and immediately descended on Jay. They ushered the group towards the ambulances.

Nya grimaced as he walked slow, slight limp in his step. The paramedics pulled him into the back of the ambulance and started their diagnostic.

"Get him an IV for dehydration," the paramedic said. Nya saw her name tag said 'Jed'. Jed grabbed a flashlight and looked into Jay's eyes as he tried not to flinch from the blinding light. "No evidence of a concussion." She looked further at his black eye. "Periorbital edema, looks like the swelling came down, some minor corneal laceration. No evidence of damage to the eye socket."

As the paramedics continued their exam of Jay, the police chief and detectives barraged him with questions about Nadakhan and the sky pirates. She only only caught snippets of his answers through all the commotion. After a minute the paramedic team had the top part of his uniform off and Nya felt her heart sink into the pit of her stomach. He was covered in bruises and minor cuts, mostly on his arms, a few on his torso. He looked like he had been in a fight. Lots of fights. They already injected the IV into his arm and one of the paramedics was sewing up a deeper cut on his bicep.

"What happened?" Jed asked calmly, gesturing to all the injuries.

"Mostly scrubbing the ship," he responded curtly. Jed gave him a knowing look, waiting for him to elaborate. "And, fighting-- for sport."

Jay looked defeated and Jed didn't push him further. The paramedic team continued their work, wrapping his ribs, dressing wounds, and finally gave him a cup of healing tea. Jed and the police commissioner seemed to be in a heated discussion, but Nya couldn't make out their words. Jed returned and addressed her and Jay.

"We would like to take you to the hospital for further analysis and X-rays, but there isn't much time. The police will escort you back to the station. The tea should help heal the wounds quickly, but do take it easy." She handed Jay a vile of pills. "Take two every four hours for pain."

The look on her face led Nya to believe Jed doubted they would take it easy, but said those words as a formality. Jay nodded and relaxed onto the elevated back of the gurney, waiting for the IV to finish.

Nya finally sucked up the courage and approached him, grabbing his hand. He flashed her a weak smile, fighting back fatigue. Words failed her. The desire to let him suffer on the island haunted her as dread crept into her veins. Jay also seemed to be at loss for words.

A gentle breeze tugged at the silence between them.

Jay closed his eyes but kept a firm grip on her hand as if it were his lifeline. He was exhausted, physically and emotionally. All he wanted to do was drink ten cups of healing tea then sleep for five days. But that was a luxury he didn't have. They had a war to win.

Memories from Misfortune's Keep came flooding back, and he didn't have much mental energy left to push them away.

Scrap 'n Tap.

He didn't just lose. He got his ass handed to him. Repeatedly.

The damage to his body would heal. What hurt the most were the blows to his pride. He brought dishonor to Wu's name and his fellow ninja. And now they were gone. He and Nya were the last ones standing. Two against the world.

"It's time to go," the police commissioner said, pulling Jay out of his reverie. Jed returned and swapped out the IV bag for a new one, handing it to Nya.

"Keep this above his head, you can hang it in the squad car. Pull the needle straight out when done."

Nya nodded and thanked the paramedic team. They draped his gi top over his shoulders and handed Nya his gear. It would have been a nice view if it weren't for all the bandages and bruises marring his torso.

Jed watched as they were shuffled into a squad car and the police caravan left the beach.

"What do you think boss?" asked one of her staff, "will they win?"

A smug smile bloomed across Jed's face. "With those two, of course." She turned to the rest of her team. "OK, pack it up and head back to the city, we've got our work cut out for us."

"Yes ma'am!"

Nya watched as the beach disappeared from view. She leaned against the window. It felt cool against her temple, calming her nerves. She sucked in a deep breath and finally said, "Jay, I'm sorry."

After a few seconds of no response, she dared to look at him, finding that he had fallen asleep. Nya let a deep breath escape her lungs. The car took a sharp turn and Jay slid onto her side. Nya made no attempt to right him, instead adjusting her position to snuggle next to him and enjoy his warmth.

They had a fierce battle ahead of them. The fate of Ninjago rested on their heads. Nya realized they needed all the rest they could get and slowly drifted to sleep.

The team was gone but Jay was back. They would rise up and win.

A/N: Big thank you to @jeleego for help on the paramedic technical terms and letting me use her likeness for the paramedic character. XD