A Night of Wishful Thinking

12/20, Late Night, Saturday

"Hold on, Mr. Hugo!"

My gallantly placed palm was more than enough to stop Mr. Hugo dead on his tracks.

"Kid, Jesus Christ, if you're gonna buy some goddamn donuts, make a list beforehand, alright?" Mr. Hugo groaned.

What should I get? Should I buy extra glazed just in case? Of course, we don't know for certain what she likes, but taking careful measures are an absolute must.

It's a must!

"Kid, it's late, I'm way past my closing time, and frankly, I can't hold it in much longer, so would you please make up your damn mind--"

"I'm buyin' all of 'em!"

"...Everything here?"

I turn to him with wide, cold eyes.

"...Everything."

I can't quite decipher the truest expression in Mr. Hugo's tired, disgruntled face, it could be confusion, disgust, or joy, or anything, really.

Nevertheless, I walked out of the store with three packs of sweetie goodness, an empty pocket, and my head held high.

To be honest, I'd dropped a pack because I was practically sprinting like Usain Bolt, but it didn't matter, I think.

I'm a firm believer in the five-second rule.

Sorry, I just can't shake the thought of her.

I can't take my mind off of her. Instead of something more productive like playing my game or watching a series, I'm dead set on... her.

Her and only her, and I don't have an explanation for it. This feeling, this emotion, still, it's meaning is unknown.

"This girl will be the death of me," I mumbled to myself, skeptical of its sincerity.

As the door creaked the softest creak, a startling bellow had come from upstairs.

"D-Darryl? Darryl, is that you?"

My mouth zipped. My feet, tiptoeing. My entire existence, drenched in fear. But I was determined to come home unnoticed.

"Darryl, come up here, baby! Today was supposed to be great, I was so excited to get this massage for my day off, and it just so happens the coupon I had was expired! It was already months old! Can you believe that?"

God, her voice is like... God, her voice, so loud, make it stop.

"So now you'll have to substitute. Come on up here and give Ma a massage, boy!"

Nuh-uh, no thanks.

I crept out to the backyard, where she's probably waiting for me. I can't wait either.

I was right, she was waiting. And suddenly, I can't prevent my body from shivering with giddiness.

"Oh, heya, D!"

Being greeted by such a comforting smile, life's finally giving me a break. My big, personal, much-needed break.

"Hey!"

I swiftly display the three packs of donuts in front of her. With a cheesy grin, I offer Maya a pack.

"Are these... donuts?"