The Night When Snakes Could Walk

12/25, Late Night, Thursday

"Merry Christmas! To the best, most precious gal I know! N-No, I already used that..." I take another second. "All these Christmas lights, and yet, you're the only one who can brighten up my life-- nope, too cheesy."

How about... "Ho, ho, ho! Since you've been such a good girl, big ol' Santy Clause here will be handing you a little extra extra-- oh, damn it, what does that even mean, seriously?"

For what seemed like forever, I finally insert the toothbrush inside my mouth.

It didn't take long for my mind to wander off into it's own little world of magic. I mean, who wouldn't after last night? That night was something else. No, that night was definitely a gift from the Gods.

What else could be the reason other than heavenly grace?

Take it as you will, but I'm certain that it was pretty much all me. The build-up, the anticipation, that tender moment, all that was in no small part thanks to my wits and my skills.

It's all up here, baby. Maya had no chance of resistance, it was basically take it or take it. No leavin'.

After a million scrubs, the faucet shut off on its own.

"What the heck?" I forced that reaction through the huge toothbrush spiked onto my teeth. Looking around the compact bathroom, I saw...

"Oh. Dad."

"How are you doing, kid?" Dad was obviously downcast, he wasn't even trying to hide it. The ruffled hair and the unbuttoned polo were a total giveaway, he was sober. Sober as hell.

I brush past him, though he seems undeterred. What does he want this time? "Why'd you turn it off? I'm brushing my teeth, see?"

Dad managed to display a smile, despite the incessant rubble burying him beneath his own little room of anguish. "You rarely brush your teeth, Darryl. I bet something's happened, got all your engines running, huh--"

"Oh my God, enough with the small talk, what do you want?"

It's piling on again. I was doing just fine until he decided to meddle with my evening. My mind was content and at ease by simply reminiscing yesterday and all its magnificence. A place where Maya and I basked in our freedom, I wanted to stay there and never leave.

Remembering last night was my only hope at that, and he still has to ruin it?

"Kid, why'd you run off?"

I gargle and spit. Gargle and spit.

Spit. Spit. Spit it out. The water, the cavities, the memories, spit it out.

"I understand, son, really, I do." I turn to him with a grimace, lending him an ounce of my time. "But you don't get to run away like that and not tell us. You could've at least said something, even if we weren't preparing a feast--"

"Oh, please! There's no bargaining with the both of you, so why should I bother?" I fought back.

"S-Son--"

"I don't wanna have to deal with this. If anyone needs me, I'll be out back." Stomping off without another word was the plan. That was the plan the moment Dad had shown his face in the middle of my grooming.

Leaving. They're used to that, right? So why shouldn't I do the same?

That plan was set to stone, until, "Son, why'd you do it? Why'd you take money from your mother?"

My feet stopped moving. My head throbbed along with the excruciatingly fast beating of my heart. This was to be expected, I knew right at the moment I'd even began plotting that devious scheme.

This was, no doubt, a problem I sadly won't be escaping. Not this time.

Dad was calm, despite his obvious condition. "I'm sorry you had to even think that way, son. I-I failed you," he said, the tang in his words full of stinging pain.

"C'mon, go talk to your mother. I'll come with."

Damn it. There's no freaking way.

And there she was. A king ready to execute a criminal for high treason, a jury about to give their final judgment.

To put it simply, a mother eager to berate his child.

Dad was hanging by the door, watching intensely. I don't know if he's ready to butt in when I need him to, or he's just focusing his vision because he's so damn drunk.

Nonetheless, I couldn't speak first. Times like this, I don't speak first. And whenever the time comes, all I have to do... is to say sorry and move on.

Ma fixes her solid glare right at me. "You think I wouldn't notice." She scoffs. "I always knew you'd be the type of idiot to leave the wallet soon after you got the money."

Was I... able to do something that dumb?

"What a waste, Darryl. What a waste! If you had just put the wallet back in my bag, none of this wouldn't have happened! You need to up your game for next time, okay?"

What is she trying to imply with that sarcastic tone?

No, I have to keep my mouth shut. Reserve it for the magic word. Nothing good will come of talking back.

"Speaking of upping your game, you need to choose better friends!"

"H-Huh?"

"They're snitching on ya, Darryl boy! I ask a question, they don't even bother vouching for you and your stupid lies!"

"Wh-Who?"

"And considering this chick was your chick? Wow, talk about a miss!"

"What the hell are you saying?"

Ma's eyes quirk up. "Oh, you talking back now?"

"Stop talking as if you know something, wh-when you don't!"

"Don't raise your tone on me, boy! You know what happens when you do--"

"Screw that, I'm tired! I'm tired of you eating me up every day! I don't even know why both of you even came back! You're both worthless, sickening parents! When you said you would change, they were practically hollow promises! Nothing, nothing changed!" I exclaimed as loud as my throat can will it to.

"Where is this coming from, Darryl? Maybe a goddamn smack will shake you up?" Ma exploded, towering threateningly in front of me.

"Yeah, go ahead, go ahead, go ahead!"

SMACK!

"Deborah!"

With cheeks as red as hot lava, I burst out the door, as fast as my legs could carry me. I couldn't think straight, I couldn't collect my thoughts.

I couldn't possibly believe what I heard. There's no way.

There's no way.

"Yeah, there's... there's no way that would ever..."

Happen? Did she really? If so, does that mean she knew?

I left for the backyard, the idea that she could even do such a thing, clobbered me.

Nonetheless, I ran out back.

I half-expected her bountiful greeting and a devilish stare meshing into one unreadable expression.

In fact, I didn't know what I want. I didn't know what I wanted to accept as the truth.

Unfortunately, the backyard was dead.

Nobody greeted nobody, not a single speck of glee traversed our safe haven. Because Maya wasn't there.

Maya's not here.