The Night of the Raging Whiskers

12/21, Night, Sunday

None of my friends want to play with me. They say they're "busy" or "tired" or some stupid excuse like "the signal's bad".

That's kind of suspicious, especially since I've heard them planning to play the game nonstop in winter break.

That's fine. Bruno, Frank? Who needs them?

I've got Maya.

Was this gonna be a norm now? Is this about to evolve into a routine I'll grow to love?

If that's what the future holds, I honestly can't complain.

Another night hanging out back, where the air flows damp and splendid.

Out back, where I could always expect her wondrous presence. I picture her before I even get there.

And I was right, I can already sense it. Her aura radiates a specific type of bliss I can't quickly grasp.

But with that same bewilderment, came belonging. And it was perfect.

"Heya, D!" Maya turned to me before putting her attention back into... something. I can't quite see what she was holding, however.

Her greetings. Were they an imminent norm as well?

"Heya Maya--"

"Yo, nuh-uh, big nope." She stopped me as I was heading towards her crouched position.

"Wh-What's wrong?"

She looks back up to me, a displeased but playful expression spread across her face.

"You can't copy my line. That's my line!" she announced with conviction.

"How is that line yours? I can't mirror your biz?"

"Yes." She smiles, happy with her own condition. "I wanna be unique."

Welp, that's kind of annoying, but I can't argue with that.

"So, what you doin' ther-- Okay, that's a kitty." The kitten was coated in snowy fur, her face painfully adorable, and her tail, very, very, long.

Actually, now that I think about it, it's length is definitely unusual.

Regardless, resistance is futile.

"A wittle kitty witty. Oh, so cute cute!" I made a gesture to pet it, but the sturdy metal fence got in the way. I forgot there was a division between her world and mine.

"I know, right?" Maya grins as she caresses the kitten's soft body. "You got any food with ya?" she asked.

"Um, I'm pretty sure we didn't spare a donut last night. Oh, I can go get some curry."

And I did get some curry, the spoils of the family's dinner.

"That looks good," she said.

"Grandma can cook a hell of a curry," I replied.

"Well, you know what they say, old people are the best!"

Is that really true? I don't think so, not always.

"I miss mine," she whispered.

"I-I'm sorry I brought it up!"

"It's nothing!" Maya beams. "That was already a long time ago."