The Night of the Turtledoves

12/27, Night, Saturday

"Darryl, eat your dinner."

The opening of the door was abrupt and authoritative, and it knocked me off my focus. The game, the game, just focus on the game.

"Didn't you hear me, boy?" Ma's voice got louder, razor-sharp.

"Y-Yeah, yeah, I'll be there." Why does she have to bother me now? She's done her absolute best avoiding me, ignoring me the whole day, and now she just up and decided that it's time? That's unfair!

"When will you be there? 'Cause your damn food has been waiting for you for an hour, and you haven't gotten your lazy ass off that bed."

"Ma, I know, I just have to finish this game--"

"And could you please clean your room? That's all you have to do, that's the only chore you have! Is it that hard for you?"

I mustn't... No... "Ma, don't you get tired? Here you are rambling, shouting at me again--"

"And here you are disobeying me again! Why can't you understand that? Don't you think I have a reason for raising my voice at you? Use that thick head of yours, Darryl!"

This game... it's the only thing that kept my mind off Maya. Talking to Ma is hopeless, Dad's gone again, and well, other than Helene, I have no other friend to talk to. They're all too busy trying to keep their distance.

I say who needs them! I have my game!

But unfortunately, it seems like I won't be having that as well.

"Ma, please, just let me finish the game, I'll be coming down in a couple of minutes," I pleaded mightily.

"...It's hard to put food on your plate, Darryl. You have it all lined up for you. I don't know what's keeping you from realizing that, but one can only hope that you do soon," said Ma before rushing out of the room.

Once I was done with my gaming and getting some food in my belly, there was one last thing to do for tonight. I didn't want to, since I don't feel ready, but...

This feeling that's chaining me to the backyard, it's back. This same feeling, what is it really? I still couldn't wrap my head around this overwhelming emotion. Nonetheless, it brought me out back, where a girl purposefully crouched beneath the pale moonlight.

"Oh, heya, D." Maya. I couldn't resist you, can I?

"What's... cookin'?" This is awkward. I quickly noticed the turtle she had with her. It's the one I gave to her. Such a weird thing to see.

"Hey, look, Whiskers finally showed up. It's been a long time since we've seen him, has it?" It was clear to me, with her struggling tone and her forced grin, that she was trying her best to light up the mood.

"Yeah." I was surprised to see that the kitten had recognized me, as he crawled up to my side of the fence, and sniffed me for any trace of food. "Wait a minute, so he's Whiskers now?"

Maya giggled. "I concede. It is pretty dumb to name him Snow White. Sorry about that," she explained.

I can sense it, the despondency in her words. Should I feel bad?

No, right?

"Hey, I managed to finish another painting. Do you wanna take a look?" Again with the forced smile.

Her resolve was unrelenting, it's remarkable.

"Okay, yeah, s-sure." Though, to be honest, my own resolve was fading, and I'm not so sure I could hang on.