That Night

12/24, Late Afternoon, Wednesday

Sneaking isn't my best suit, but I can't afford to get caught. No, I have to make sure I don't screw this up! A teen like me could only ever have one shot at this, so...

Ma said to wait for her to come home. Dad's in the front yard, repairing the family table. I mean, they already lost me since yesterday when they said they won't be preparing anything for Christmas Eve.

And also the fact that Ma...

I've cooled off at this point, but my mind simply won't omit that memory so easily, despite all the support Maya has given me.

Anyhow, I haven't done this before, this is such a new experience for me. So I just... take it? Just like that? Is it that simple?

It's so effortless to snatch a few dollars from a wallet, I can't help but almost feel bad about it.

Almost.

"A-Almost?"

Now's not the time for remorse. Now, I have to make a break for it. And as soon as I did, my heart raced as rapidly as my feet galloped. Because throughout the entire day, presents, food, and the jolly spirit of Christmas haven't even crossed my mind.

All I ever prepared for, all I've anticipated in a span of a week, is the moment Maya and I would set foot on even grounds. The moment when we'd meet outside our comfort zone, our safety bubble. We've gotten this close, and it took us no time at all.

The moment I'd finally see the marvelous, pink dress she wore, her long, lustrous hair, and her enchanting gaze, all while being completely unobstructed by the metal fence that had divided us for the longest time.

Finally, I'd reached the point where all my pent up bliss and eagerness releases into one, big, magical night.

"Heya, D!"

"What's cookin'?"

Maya looks surprised. "With your hyper attitude"--she pokes at my unsuspecting nose--"you managed to make up a greeting of your own! Good for you!" she pointed out proudly.

"Alright, all this greeting and beating around the bush, it would just get my stomach all grumbling. So let's go! To the park!"

I dashed amidst the vivid neighborhood, totally stoked until I noticed...

Maya wasn't running with me. She's... frowning?

My feet acted fast, retracing all the steps I took.

I gave her a questioning look rather than a question, and that was more than enough for sweet, charming Maya to hold out her hand to me. She shakes it and shoots me back with a demanding stare.

She might just be the best thing that happened to me.

Hand in hand, side by side, we made for the long road towards the beautifully-lit town park.

The park had loads of features that made it breathtaking, pulling everyone to a spectacular fondness of euphoria and incredibly high spirits. The trees were crowded with twinkling lights, complimenting the tranquil atmosphere of the night sky. People walked in rambunctious groups and in cute pairs.

For me, secluded is the way to go. Surely enough, Maya feels the same way.

"This is stunning to look at. I didn't think they'd go all out for mere decoration. Color me impressed," said Maya. Noticing I hadn't replied, she turns to me.

"How about ice cream?" I offered, tapping my tummy. She nods aggressively.

Approaching the ice cream stand, I take out the money from my pocket.