Chapter 1

Avas POV:
**Time jump**
*2 years later*

Dark eyes glared at me, breathing in my fear, circling me. Scanning my body up and down, the predator moved ever so slowly closer to me.

"You really thought you could run, Ava?" he sneered before snatching me up by the hair. "I told you along time ago that if you tried to run, I'd kill you," and with that he slit my throat from ear to ear.

I woke up suddenly, breathing rapidly, my pillow covered in sweat. The sun was shining through the blinds, the sounds of birds chirping through the slightly cracked window brought me back to reality. I let out a sigh, I was safe. I was miles away from him and he didn't know where we were. I smiled, turning onto my side and ruffling the dark hair of my son who was fast asleep next to me, thumb in mouth.

"Good morning Lucas. It's time to wake up angel," I whispered, smiling, giving him a quick kiss on his little cheek, before getting up to get ready for the day.

Pouring myself and Lucas a bowl of cereal, we settled at my tiny breakfast nook and I reveled in the freedom that I felt, finally.

Cleaning up, I looked at the time and reminded myself that I needed to get ready for work.

2 years ago, shortly after arriving in Charlotte with Wyatt, he introduced me to his wife Millie who owned a cute little diner on the outskirts of town. Millie and Wyatt had been married for 40 years and were as deeply in love with eachother now as they probably were when they first met. They were my surrogate parents and looked after me. When I started to show in my pregnancy, Millie knew right away and I broke down telling her most of my situation, leaving out most of the horrible details. I cried as she wrapped me in her warm, comforting arms, stroking my hair and telling me that it will be alright. They fed me and gave me a place to sleep and in the morning Millie had took me to her diner and said that if I wanted it, I could have a waitress job there. I smiled and greatfully accepted, tears threatening to creep out again.

I thought of how wonderful they were as I got us both dressed. I made sure to watch my surroundings when I walked out the door, turning to lock it and keeping my keys in hand just in case I needed a fast weapon. Feeling that we were completely alone, I headed next door to my neighbors apartment to drop Lucas off. I knelt down to his level as he stared at me with his thumb in mouth and blanket in hand. "Mommy loves you baby. Be good for Miss Jillian, okay?" He nodded, rubbing his eyes. I hugged him again and waved bye to Jillian and headed down to the bike rack where my bicycle was locked in place. As I bent down to unlock my lock, I suddenly had the feeling that I was being watched. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I quickly stood, turning to glance around. Sighing, I shook my head.

"You're just being paranoid, Ava," I told myself. "He's miles away."

I shook myself out of my paranoia and swung my leg over my bike and took off towards the diner.

Millies' was packed for the breakfast rush. Elderly couples, families and travelers of all kinds were packed into the tiny space.

"Hey David, how are you this morning?" I asked, smiling as I placed a ticket for one of my tables in the kitchen for the cook.

"Hey Miss Ava. I'm doing fine this mornin' sweetheart. How're you?" he asked, beaming at me. David was a handsome, tall, african american man who had brilliant white teeth and glacial blue eyes. He was one of the first people that introduced themselves to me the day I came with Millie to see the diner. He has always been kind to me since the moment I started and for that I'm so greatful. He helped introduce me to all the other waitresses and cooks and informed me that the people who work at Millies' are family.

"I'm great David," I replied, smiling and grabbing my food for one of my other tables.

As the breakfast rush died down, I was cleaning tables and chatting with Leah, one of the waitresses who had become one of my closest friends, when I heard the sound of the door and saw Leahs' mouth drop open, a blush slowly creeping up into her cheeks. Turning to look at what had her so shellshocked, I was graced with one of the most handsome men I had ever seen. He was tall, with a muscular build, a hard jawline, brown hair and forest green eyes. His suit shouted that he was too expensive for this establishment and the cold look in his eyes made me shudder. I could feel the heat rising in my face and my heart rate quickening.

Leah immediately walked over to him to greet him and offered to seat him. She turned quickly on her heels and he followed behind her, catching my eye and staring intently until I had to look away from embarrassment. I shook my head and walked towards the kitchen.

"Leah, I'm gonna take my 15 hun!" I hollered over my shoulder as I walked through the double doors.