Chapter 8

Avas POV:

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked Owen, watching him for any signs of deceit.

He stared back at me, aware that I was studying him, watching for any slip ups.

"What I told you before is the truth, Ava," he stated, matter of factly. "I went to the diner, you weren't there. I asked about you and came here. Is that so hard to believe?"

I continued staring at him, strumming my fingers down the side of my coffee mug. I wanted to believe him. I wanted to actually believe that he came here to see me. Cameron used to be like this too though. He  got me to believe that he was a good person, that he was actually interested in me and cared about me, but then he broke me. He broke me to the point that I was beyond repair. I trusted very few people now, and only one person out of those few people that I trust actually knew my entire story and that was Jillian. She had to know what her responsibility was when caring for Lucas. She had to be my person for him if something were to happen to me, because I knew that one day, he would come. And I wouldn't survive this time.

I was lost in thought for a moment, when Owen cleared his throat, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Ava, are you okay?" he asked, a concerned look on his face.

"Yes, I'm fine," I responded quickly, taking a sip of my coffee.

I heard the faint cry come from my bedroom and I hopped down from the counter quickly, not realizing that I knocked my coffee mug off the counter on my way out of the kitchen. It wasn't until I was down my small hallway that I heard it shatter.

"Damnit." I muttered. I opened my bedroom door and found Lucas sitting up on the bed, rubbing his eyes.

"Sweetheart, it's okay." I cooed, rubbing his hair. "Let's go get a snack."

I picked him up and headed towards the kitchen, reminding myself mentally that I needed to clean up my mess when I rounded the corner to find Owen on his knees, picking up the pieces of glass and throwing them into the waste basket. I stopped and stared at him, when he looked up he asked me to get him some paper towels so he could clean the spilled coffee up. I insisted that I could do it, but he didn't want to hear me argue with him and he snatched the paper towels out of my hand. I stood back, holding Lucas in my arms, watching this man that I barely knew clean my floor.

I couldn't help but think that he wanted something from me. No one did anything for free. There was always an expectation that needed to be met. Cameron taught me that well.

I sighed, placing Lucas on the floor in the living room and turned on cartoons. Ruffling his hair, I walked back into my kitchen to Owen sitting back on the stool with his coffee and fresh cup on the counter for me.

I sighed, staring at between him and the cup. He smiled at me and I grabbed the mug, turning to the fridge to get a snack for Lucas. Looking over my shoulder at Owen, I asked hesitantly, "Would you like a snack as well?" I could faintly see a grin as he tipped back his mug to take a sip.

I shook my head. Of course he would think there was an underlying innuendo to that phrase. Rolling my eyes, I grabbed three apples out of the fridge, opened up the cupboard for a cutting board and grabbed a pearing knife to cut the apples into pieces.

I was aware of him watching me. I paid him no attention though as I cut up Lucas' apple into small pieces for his little teeth, grabbed a plate and his sippy cup and walked into the living room with his food and my apple, leaving Owen in the kitchen. I plopped down on the sofa as Lucas climbed onto my lap and began chewing on his food, still engulfed in his cartoons. Owen came in the room and I could tell he was unsure if he would be welcome to sit on the couch, so instead of speaking to him, I moved the pillow that was on the other side, insinuating that he should sit down. I watched him out of the corner of my eye as he sat, a small smile played on my lips.

Lucas broke me out of my staring as he giggled and jumped down off my lap to dance to the music playing in the commercial. I laughed at him as he bounced up and down, when I noticed Owen watching me closely.

"What?" I didn't beat around the bush. "Do you have something to say?"

I stared at him waiting for his reply. "You have a beautiful laugh," was all he said.

I froze. This needed to stop. He needed to go. I couldn't have feelings for someone and I couldn't allow someone to have feelings for me. I couldn't let him in because he didn't know where I come from or what I have seen. I stood up quickly.

"You need to go." I said coldly. "Now."

He looked confused but didn't argue with me. Standing, he stared at me another moment before walking out my door. I locked it quickly and took some deep breaths. The walls were closing in again and I couldn't breathe. My mind was racing, my lungs hurt, my heart was thumping. Panic attack. I rushed into the bathroom and opened the cabinet, reaching for the xanax. I took one in my mouth and grabbed a quick sip of water to wash it down. My breathing was still erratic as I stared at myself in the mirror. I closed my eyes and sat on the floor with my head on my knees.

***Flashback***

"Miss? Excuse me, miss?" a strong voice called me from behind.

Turning, I smiled at the figure, "yes? Can I help you?"

The tall figure smiled at me, his blue eyes bright, jaw strong, body radiating authority. I gulped when he came closer to me. "As a matter of fact, you can help me. What is your name?"

"Um,..Ava. It's Ava sir." I replied nervously.

He smiled down at me, resting his body against the wall.

"Ava," he mused. "Are you the new assistant?"

"Yes sir. I started yesterday."

He nodded, a look passed over his eyes that I couldn't quite make out but I knew it was there. He smiled at me and made some more small talk. Eventually he got to the point he had when he first approached me.

"Ava, I was wondering if you would like to accompany me to dinner tonight?" he asked, watching me closely.

I fiddled my thumbs together before responding. "I don't know if I should Mr. James. You are the CEO and it is definitely a conflict of interest for me to do that."

He smiled sickly at me, "It's completely work related Ava. I have a business dinner that I need to have a date for. I have to fulfill the obligation of filling both my seats there or I won't look good to the board. So I figured that a beautiful woman like you would be a wonderful addition to the night there."

I hesitantly accepted the offer and he said he would pick me up by 7 and to wear something breathtaking. Little did I realize that he would take my breath away, starting that night.

We sat around the dinner table and I had no idea who was who, having just started at the company. Mr. James, or Cameron as he instructed me to call him tonight, was the only person I knew. He held my hand under the table to keep up the pretenses of this being a date. I didn't mind. His hand was warm and strong against my small, soft ones. The speaker of the event was in the middle of his speech when he let out a joke that had everyone laughing, including myself.

I felt a pair of eyes on me, when I turned my head, I met Camerons' eyes staring intently at me.

Nervousness flooded me and I looked down towards the ground to avoid his gaze. He reached over and gripped my chin, turning it back towards him. "You have the most beautiful laugh Ava."

I gasped before he leaned in and planted a firm kiss to my lips.

***

I sat on the floor for a few more moments before getting up and going back out to find Lucas fast asleep on the floor, surrounded by toys. Shaking my head, I curled up next to him and took a nap with him.

***a/n:

what do you think so far?

What do you think of the flashback scene?

Will Ava ever let her walls down for Owen?

Comment, vote, follow