Chapter 4

Ava POV:

I sat quietly in the passenger seat of his jeep after informing him on which way to go to reach my apartment. I was internally scolding myself for allowing someone that I don't know to take me home.

Why was he concerned about someone he doesn't know? I thought to myself, then it hit me. What if he works for Cameron?

I felt the air leave my lungs as I tried to remain calm. I couldn't let Owen know that I was internally panicking. I started to think of all my available options to get out of this car quickly. Hurling myself out of a moving vehicle was the first thing that rushed into my thoughts but then I thought of my sweet boy at home and it quickly dissipated. The next and seemingly logical thought was to wait for him to stop at the stop light and quickly make my escape. Although, I would be losing my bike in the process but it was one of the only ways to escape without accidentally injuring or killing myself.

The last thought I had was to have him go down the street further from my apartment complex and wait for him to leave before trudging back to my actual residence. The only problem with this plan was what if he waited out of sight, watching me walk back to my home.

I sighed, which caught his attention. I saw him glance at me out of the corner of my eyes before looking back at the road.

"I promise I'm not going to kill you," he smirked, breaking me from my thoughts and looking at me quickly then back to the road again. "I can tell that you are trying to figure out a way to get away from me, but I honestly mean no harm, so please don't injure yourself for unnecessary reasons."

I didn't react. Years of abuse from Cameron had my mind closed off like a fortress whose walls you couldn't bring down even with all the firepower in the world. I was a brick wall.

My phone rang in my purse and I shuffled through it, glancing at Jillians number that flashed on the screen.

"Hello," I answered with a smile. I heard Lucas on the other line with Jillian in the background, encouraging him to talk into the phone.

"Lucas, my sweetheart, I'm on my way home. I will be there in a few minutes okay?" I smiled into the phone, the love emanating from my voice. "We'll talk about your day when I get home. I love you. See you soon, honey." I ended the call with a small smile on my face that instantly faded when I noticed his eyes on my face.

It appeared I wasn't the only one capable of putting up walls. The face that I was staring at had a blank, cold expression that I couldn't see through nor gauge any type of reaction from.

"My apartment complex is up on the right, just past the stoplight and tree line," I instructed, ignoring his disapproving look and pointing in the direction.

He made a noise that I couldn't quite hear and turned back towards the road, looking at where I was pointing and headed in that direction. Pulling into the parking lot, I thanked him quickly, got out of the jeep and walked around to the back to get my bike down. He offered to help me, but I declined and stated that the ride was helpful enough and I appreciated it. Without another word, I turned and headed towards the door, not glancing back at him. As I opened the door to the inside of the apartment complex, I heard him pull out of the parking lot and I let out a breath to calm myself down.

Arriving at my neighbors apartment, I knocked and was greeted by Jillians daughter Hannah. She was 7 and was always helping her mom babysit when she got home from school. She loved my little Lucas and I couldn't be thankful enough that I found such a reliable babysitter for him.

"Hi Hannah, how're you sweetie?" I asked, smiling at the little girl.

She gave me a toothy grin, "Hi Miss Ava. I'm good. Look I lost another tooth today!" she exclaimed, pointing to her gap in her front top teeth.

"That is so wonderful Hannah. You'll have to make sure you put it under your pillow case for the tooth fairy!" I replied, clapping my hands together. As we stood in the entry way, I saw my little brown haired boy toddle towards me with his blanket.

Kneeling down, I gave him a kiss on the forehead before scooping him into my arms. Breathing him in as if he was my oxygen.

"Hi my darling. Mommy missed you so much," I cooed, kissing him again.

I looked up at Jillian, asked her about how he was for her today and then thanked her and Hannah again before walking out the door to head to my own apartment.

*** a/n:

Hey guys! Let me know what you think about my story so far. Likes, dislikes?

Comment, vote, follow