Chapter 10

Avas POV:

"Order's up," David yells, dinging the bell in the window.

"Thanks David," I smile, walking over to the pick up window to grab the plates.

Walking to the elderly couples table, I smile at them and place their plates down.

"Is there anything else I can get you right now?" I ask politely, to which they smiled and replied no.

As I was getting ready to turn around to head to my next table, my eyes catch sight of something outside the front windows of the diner. Well, not something, but someone.

Cameron.

My heart rate picks up, thumping loudly in my ears, my mouth suddenly goes dry and my palms become clammy. This can't be real. I'm hallucinating, I think to myself.

I close my eyes tightly, rubbing my palms over my face, taking a deep breath before opening them again. He's gone. Confused, I glance around the diner at the patrons who are paying me no attention at all, thank goodness, but I don't see him. Breathing out deeply, I head towards the kitchen when Leah, Sam and Tara are.

They are in the midst of a deep conversation when Leah looks up and sees my face. Instant panic sets in on her expression.

"Ava, are you okay?" she asks, her voice dripping with concern.

I nod, trying to keep my breathing even. "I'm fine," offering a small smile.

I notice Tara glancing around through the pick up window before she speaks, "Ava, we're not that busy. Why don't you head home? Your shifts more than halfway over anyways." She smiles at me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

As I grab my bags from the office, I breathe in deeply and let out a slow breath. Was he really there? Was I imagining it? If he's here, how did he find me? I can't stay here. We aren't safe.

I bolt out the back door, acutely aware of my surroundings as I unlock my bike and climb on, heading for the road. I take off as fast as my legs will take me, making sure that I'm not being followed. It takes me less time than normal to get down the road and I breathe a sigh of relief as my apartment building comes into view. Not even bothering to lock my bike up I bolt through the door, bypassing the elevator for the stairs and begin pounding on Jillians door.

She opens it in a panic as I rush inside, searching for Lucas.

"Ava, what's wrong? Are you hurt?" she asks, concerned etched onto her face.

I try to slow my breathing to speak.

"Wheres..Lucas?" I pant out.

"He's in Hannahs room with her. They're watching cartoons. Is something wrong Ava?" she asks.

I turn to look her straight in the eye before responding, "Cameron."

We sit on her couch as I hear Lucas and Hannah giggling and smile, knowing that he is here and safe.

"What about Cameron hun? I thought he didn't know where you were? Does he know about Lucas?" she asked, eyes wide, nervousness lacing her tone.

Closing my eyes and shaking my head, "I don't know how he found me. I saw him outside the diner today. I don't know what he knows but if he found me, chances are he knows about Lucas. And if he knows about him, we aren't safe here anymore. Our time is up."

Opening my eyes, I turn to give her the look that I've been dreading since I came here. She knew what it meant. She knew that Lucas and I had to get out of town and quickly. Jillian quickly got up and ran down the hall to her bedroom. Grabbing the duffel bag that has been packed with the essentials, she came back and sat it down in front of me.