Chapter 2

Owen POV:

These damn country back roads, I thought to myself as I stood outside my car while my driver, Jackson, looked at the damage and spoke with the mechanic at the gas station. I sighed, looking at my phone. Scrolling through messages, I glared at my screen momentarily as a text message popped up.

Monica: Hey babe. I had fun last night. We should do it again soon. ;)

I groaned internally. Monica was just one of the latest flings that I had going on and I am already sorry that I hooked up with her. The clinginess is getting old. Locking my phone, I huffed and put my phone in my pocket before looking at my surroundings. I noticed a small diner next to the mechanic garage and instantly felt my stomach rumble.

"Jackson, let me know when it's done. I will be next door," I said to him as he nodded understanding.

I pushed the front door open, cringing at the noise that it made as I stepped inside the small diner. It was subpar from where I would normally eat at and I frowned momentarily as I took in my surroundings. As my eyes continued to scan the inside, I was vaguely aware of a petite blonde woman coming up to me and breathlessly asking how many before gesturing for me to follow. My eyes were fixed on the small figure across the room as I absentmindedly followed the other woman to my table. When her eyes locked with mine, I felt the breath leave my lungs for a second until she quickly broke contact and looked away, but I could faintly see a pink tinge creeping on her face.

I watched her turn on her heels and head towards the kitchen.

"Leah, I'm gonna take my 15 hun!" the woman shouted and it stopped me just for an instance as the melodic sound of her voice hit me. I shook my head and took the menu that the other woman offered me.

She batted her eyes at me and I groaned.

"I'm Leah and I'll be your server today. What can I get you to drink?" she asked, smiling at me with a look of lust in her eyes.

"Coffee." I bit out quickly then went back to ignoring her so she would take the hint and leave me.

I couldn't concentrate on the menu as I hazily looked at the items. My mind was too busy thinking about the brunette with fierce blue eyes who had taken up storage in the recesses of my mind. I was brought out of my stupor as the blonde, Leah, came back with my coffee, setting it down with cream and sugar.

"Have you decided what you want?" she smiled, but I could sense there was an underlying innuendo in her question.

Quickly closing the menu and handing it to her, I shook my head, gulped my coffee down quickly and informed her that I was not ordering anything. Grabbing my wallet out of my jacket pocket, I threw 4 dollars on the table and proceeded to head towards the exit, leaving Leah standing there with her mouth agape.

When the fresh air hit my face, I breathed in deep and turned to head towards the garage next door when I caught sight of that brown hair again. I watched intently as the small woman, who was perched on the top of a picnic table, was trying her hardest to not be heard as she let out quiet sniffled sobs. She wrapped her arms around her upper body and leaned her head onto her knees as another small sob came from her mouth.

Without realizing it, I had moved closer to her, the need to comfort her creeping up into my psyche ever so slowly. As I inched closer to her, she picked her head up and wiped tears from her cheeks, and raised her head to the sky, closing her eyes and breathing in the fresh air.

Fuck. me. she is breathtaking, I thought to myself. She must have sensed my presence because at that moment, her head snapped to the side where I was standing and her eyes locked with mine again, only for a minute, before she got up and brushed herself off before heading back inside the kitchen.

I let the breath out that I didn't realize I had been holding, shook my head and rubbed my face in my hands before turning back towards the garage to check with Jackson about the car.

***

***

a/n: Hi guys! This is the first story that I've written that I've ever attempted to have others read!

I've written many stories but have never finished them. Let me know if you like this story so far.

Vote and follow <3