Chapter 5

The sunlight was streaming in through the open window when Minato and Rin walked into the hospital room. There was a curtain covering Naruto's bed, and Minato's anxiety was hitting an all time high, that is, until he got a look behind the curtain and he was certain his heart had stopped for a couple seconds.

Naruto seemed to be wrapped head to toe in bandages, he had an IV in one arm and a blood bag supplying small amounts of blood to him in the other arm. He was also hooked up to a breathing simulator, pumping air to his lungs. There were also seals placed around the boy's wrists and ankles so he wouldn't be able to move, since of course, they didn't actually know if he could be trusted yet.

"M-Minato-sensei...t-this is..." Rin didn't even have words to express what she was feeling. She looked toward her sensei and what she saw shocked her. He's crying? She had never seen him cry before. He was always so happy and calm all the time. "Are you okay, sensei?" Rin muttered quietly as she tapped Minato's arm to get his attention.

Minato jumped when he felt Rin tap him and heard her ask if he was okay. I'm crying? Oh my Kami, this is worse than I ever would have imagined...it's...it's heartbreaking. He can't even breathe on his own... Minato knew he had to answer Rin, but what could he say? "I'm not sure, Rin. Who knows what this boy went through. H-he doesn't even look that old." He tried to ignore the stutter that made its way to his voice. "Why was such a young boy hurt so bad? He almost...he almost d-died." It was hard to say this outloud. It was all he could do to hope that it would not happen.

Both Minato and Rin jumped when they heard a knock on the door, breaking the intense silence that had settled between the two team members.

"Come in!" Minato called out to whoever was at the door.

"Minato-sensei, we just finished relaying the mission to Lord Hokage. He is outside and would like to speak with you." Kakashi was standing just inside the doorway. He didn't trust this newcomer and wanted to stay as far away as possible.

"Thank you, Kakashi. Now, if you and Obito here wouldn't mind, I would like you three to watch over Naruto until I get back."

"But sensei..." Kakashi was about to complain until Obito spoke up.

"Absolutely, sensei! Will do!" Obito came around and sat on one of the chairs that was by the hospital bed. He would make sure this kid stayed safe no matter what.

"Ugh...fine, whatever." Kakashi mumbled and went to stand in a corner as his sensei left the room and he was left with Rin and Obito.

Minato walked out of the room. The Hokage was facing away from him as he walked down the hallway. He seemed to be talking to someone, and as Minato got closer he realized exactly what the Hokage wanted to talk about. So he brought Inoichi with him. Guess they want to find out who Naruto is and if he's trustworthy. "Lord Hokage, I'm sorry who had to come all the way here. I'm sure you're busy."

"Nonsense Minato. It's great to finally get out of that stuffy room and away from paperwork for a little while." The older man spoke in a way that suggested he was more than glad to get away. "Now, about this mysterious shinobi we seem to have found. Do you know anything about him? You seem quite protective of the child given you rushed him to the hospital."

"I...Well all I know right now sir is that his name is Naruto and when we found him he was wearing a Hidden Leaf headband on his forehead and he seems to be a formidable fighter." Minato figured it would be better to tell the truth. With Inoichi here they would find it out anyways.

"Well then...I brought Inoichi here in hopes that we could search through his memories to learn more about him while he is asleep. Is that alright with you, Minato?"