Chapter 31

Minato and Naruto were standing in front of the Hokage as they explained the mission they wanted to go on. "Please sir. We ask that you give us permission to go on this mission." Minato was the one to step forward. "I know we don't have all of the information, but I'm positive it will help reduce conflict in the near future."

"Minato." The Hokage signaled for Minato to be silent. "I have no arguments against what you two are wanting to do. Though I am concerned about the danger of the mission itself." He was stroking his chin as he was deep in thought. "If you are going after Madara Uchiha, he won't be an opponent that is beaten so easily."

"We can do it, Gramps." Naruto had a determined look in his eye.

"I have no doubt in your strength Naruto, but I'd prefer if you two didn't go alone."

"I'm not going to let anyone else put themselves in danger! Not for something that is my responsibility to handle!"

Minato could see that Naruto was starting to get upset, so he decided it was best to settle on a compromise. "Lord Hokage. I too would like to not involve anyone else, but perhaps I could suggest that we bring along Kakashi, Obito and Rin. We are already a team, and work well together."

"Hm, yes. I suppose that will work."

Naruto had a shocked look on his face as he glanced between the Hokage and his dad. "Are you kidding me?! Did you miss the part where I said I didn't want anyone else involved?!"

"Naruto!"

Naruto flinched at the stern and commanding voice from his dad. "What?" He had to grit his teeth in order to avoid saying anything he might regret.

"Stop acting like a child." Minato knew he was being harsh, but he had no other choice. "You are a shinobi, as are we all. It doesn't matter who it is, we have all made the decision to protect this village with our lives. It isn't up to you to decide what we choose to do. We are a team, and we will work as a team. So stop your childish arguing."

"Calm down Naruto." Kurama suddenly spoke up inside Naruto's mind.

"Don't tell me to calm down, Kurama! You know full well what happened the last time I let others help me fight him!"

"He was at his full strength then. He is only a shell of what he used to be right now." Kurama was trying to knock some sense into Naruto, before he totally lost his temper.

"He still has power, and that power is what I'm worried about." Naruto didn't see how he could convince Kurama of his point of view.

"Minato is the strongest shinobi around besides the Third Hokage, and that brat Kakashi is a jonin and is strong already. You have the strength to go up against him."

Naruto didn't say anything else to Kurama, he was feeling so frustrated that no one was listening to him. He turned back to see Minato staring at him with a look of authority that showed he wasn't going to take any arguments. When he looked at the Hokage, he saw the same look. He knew that he had lost. "Whatever." Naruto walked to the door without looking back at the other two. "I'll be waiting at the front gate."

Naruto was sitting by the front gate when he sensed someone watching him. He was about to go and find out who it was when he heard Obito's voice in the distance. Oh great... perfect timing you guys... Naruto felt uneasy about being watched. He thought it could have been Danzo, but the chakra wasn't the same.

"What are you looking at?"

Naruto turned to see Kakashi staring at him. "Hey little brother. I wasn't staring at anything. Just observing, ya know." He didn't want to let them know about the person watching.