Chapter 34

Minato, Rin, Kakashi and Obito were all quiet as they walked through the forest, and with Minato in the condition he was, they had to move slower than usual while Kakashi and Obito supported him. It was dark by the time Minato spoke up. "Alright, I think we're far enough away now. It's dark, let's rest for the night."

Once again there was silence as everyone got lost in their own thoughts. There was so much that happened, that they just couldn't wrap their heads around it. The camp was set up and they were all eating their dinner by the time anyone spoke up.

"Minato-sensei?" Obito spoke up quietly.

"What is it, Obito?" Minato spoke kindly, knowing how Obito felt about leaving.

Obito hung his head, worried about upsetting Minato. "Well... I was just wondering... I know that we needed to get out of there. But do you think Naruto is okay?"

Minato's heart was heavy as he thought about Naruto. I honestly don't know... Minato forced himself to take a deep breath before turning to Obito. "Naruto is strong. We just need to believe in him." Minato knew he was just trying to make Obito feel better. He wanted to believe his own words, but the terrible feeling he had wasn't going away.

"Yeah, he is strong." Obito nodded to himself as he thought about all that Naruto was capable of. "Thanks, Minato-sensei."

Kakashi was carefully watching Minato as Obito spoke with him. He could see the discouragement in his eyes, and could see how tired he was. "Let's just not talk about it for now Obito. We are all tired." He figured it was best to not bring up Naruto anymore. "Sensei, I'll take the watch for now. You need the rest."

Minato didn't argue as Kakashi took watch duty. He knew he needed the rest in order to regain his strength. Especially if they wanted to get back to the village quickly.

Kakashi could tell that someone was watching them through the night, but they made no move to attack. It's someone from that cave. But it's not him... Kakashi decided not to attack, but rather to just stay vigil just in case.

By the time morning came nothing had happened, and Kakashi was starting to get a weird feeling. This doesn't seem right. He couldn't figure out why they wouldn't attack even though their group was in such a weakened state.

"How was the night, Kakashi?" Rin walked up behind Kakashi.

"Oh, Rin. It was quiet. Sort of boring actually."

Rin chuckled at Kakashi's nonchalant attitude. "Well I suppose for someone like you it would be boring."

"It's good to see you guys in such high spirits this morning." Minato walked over to the two as Rin laughed.

"How are you feeling today, Sensei?" Kakashi noted that Minato didn't look quite as pale. And he was at least able to walk on his own two feet without falling over.

"Well, I'm still not at full strength, but I do feel a lot better." Minato gave Rin and Kakashi a small smile. "We'll be able to travel faster from here on out."

"Yeah, once the lazy one wakes up." Kakashi walked over to where Obito was still sleeping. "I mean seriously. Wake up Obito!" Kakashi started softly kicking Obito to wake him up.

Obito grumbled as he woke. "Stop kicking me, Kakashi!"

"Well then get up loser. You're the only one still sleeping. The rest of us are all ready to go."

Obito sat up as he complained to himself. "Stupid Kakashi... I thought you were trying to be nicer..."

After a lot more arguing between Obito and Kakashi, the four team members once again started to make their way back towards the Leaf Village. They traveled as long as they could while the sun was in the sky, stopping only to eat lunch and to make camp as it got dark. They continued in the same pattern for three days before they reached the village.