Natsu's Chance

Natsu's POV
Lucy had left to go home and Gray and Erza continued to talk, I decided to leave, I said bye and walked out. I hadn't gotten far when I heard Lucy and another girl's voice. I looked to where it was coming from and saw Lucy and Crystal talking. I caught a bit of their conversation when I went behind a tree "I can barely deal with him as it is, dating him? I wouldn't last a day!" They were both laughing "Nah, Lucy, you two would be cute together."

Who were they are talking about? "You aren't the only one who thinks that," Lucy huffed "Who else thinks that?" "You know the girl with silver hair that greeted you?" Mira! Who does she think Lucy would be good with? Gray? No! That couldn't be it, but who else could it be? I thought about it but didn't come up with anyone when I heard the two of them get up and I looked to see them saying goodbye, Lucy walked the other way while Crystal walked almost right towards the tree I was at "Who's there?" She called out, her fists raised.

No point in hiding "It's just me, Natsu," she lowered her fits when I stepped into the light "Natsu, how much did you hear of that?" "I heard you talking about a guy you said Lucy should date," I wonder who they were talking about. "We were talking about you, you should follow her, tell her how you feel," "What?!" "You heard me, go, you'll miss your chance." She walked past me and away. Talk about sudden, I wonder why she would say that. What difference would it make? I'd still like Lucy and she still wouldn't like me but we'd be even further apart. Whatever, I'll follow Lucy, just to see what this Crystal chick was talking about. My chance? What does that mean?

Lucy was almost home when I caught her, when I got close to her she turned around and I let my raised hand fall. She was on the side of the road like she always is, she really should be careful. "Hey Lucy I need to talk to you..." I really didn't want to tell her but I would have to eventually. "What else would you want me for?" I shrugged and blushed "I don't know but can we not talk about it here?" I looked around nervously, I can't believe I was doing this, and I don't want anyone else to know. "Sure, let's go," I smiled at her and stepped closer to her.

She kept walking on the edge making me more nervous, what if she fell? I'd catch her. She'd still be soaked though. She wouldn't have to wait for someone to hear her though. Why am I even thinking about this? I shook my head and felt someone grab my shoulder. It was Lucy, she had started wobbling in her really tall shoes. She became even more wobbly as we walked so I stopped but she wasn't ready so she fell backwards "Ah!" I moved fast and caught her midair. She stared up at me, her eyes wide with shock "Uh, thanks, Natsu." I hesitated then quickly helped her stand up straight and blushed, backing away. She brushed herself off and looked at me "What's wrong Natsu?" "Nothing," I shook my head and she shrugged. We kept walking.

We were silent, I was really nervous. I felt warmer than usual, especially on my face. I didn't know what I'd do once we got there, say it and wait for her to be mad then leave because she'd never want to see me again. What if she isn't mad? Maybe she likes me too...nah, she doesn't. If she did it wouldn't be so hard to tell. I heard something in the distance and looked over at Lucy. She wasn't paying attention, maybe if I just... I reached my hand closer to hers and wrapped my pinkie finger around hers.

She looked down at our fingers and I looked away from her face, I could feel myself blushing even more. She didn't say anything so I relaxed a little, maybe she does like me, or maybe she just doesn't see it as much. Why do I have to feel this way? I've never looked at a girl before and thought she was really pretty and that I liked her, only Lucy. I wonder why, I mean she has saved me a lot and she's really useful, it wouldn't be the same without her, I'd be lost without her.

I know she doesn't think she's that important to us but she is, if she left I'd be heart broken. I really hope she still wants to see me after this. I unconsciously gripped her hand a little harder. She slipped her whole hand into mine making my face burn again, what is this? Why do I feel so strongly about just a little connection between us? I like her, I guess I just never realized how much.

We came up to her house and she opened the door and I walked in. She went over and sat on her bed, after opening a window, looking at me expectantly.

Lucy's POV *go back to where they walk in*

I opened the door and let Natsu walk in first, and, doing something very unlike him, he just stood there, his dragon scale scarf blowing a little from the wind coming from the open door. I closed the door, opened a window and sat down on my bed "What is it you wanted to talk about, Natsu?" He shuffled his feet and decided to sit in one of the chairs I have. I tilted my head to one side, a silent Natsu? He's been acting strange lately. I asked Erza and Gray about it but they said they hadn't noticed anything, except that they had noticed him looking at me more and more recently.

I looked at him expectantly and he took a deep breath in "Lucy, I...I..." the words got caught in his throat making me even more curious. What could make Natsu stumble? He held my hand on the way here, maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe he just needs to be comforted. I hesitated then pulled a chair up next to him and put a hand on his shoulder. He tensed, maybe that wasn't it. What could it be though?

He was looking down and moving his fingers nervously "Why are you nervous?" I didn't mean to say but I was too curious "Huh? Oh, nothing," "Nothing? What's wrong with you Natsu? You're not being yourself." He looked at me but almost instantly looked away. I was worried about him, he usually would've already said it and he'd be gone leaving me to think about what he said, usually I'd be mad or going with him somewhere, but not this time.

"The Natsu I know would spit it out, this isn't like you," what happened to my Natsu? My Natsu?! He's not mine, he's just...a close friend, yeah, just a close friend. He looked at me and grabbed my face in both of his hands and kissed me "Hmm?!" I was surprised, Natsu... is this what happened to you? I tried to push him away but he just pulled me closer. We didn't kiss for too long before he pulled away but he still held me close.

I didn't notice but I had put my hands on his chest trying to push him away, I never realized how strong Natsu was. I mean, I knew, I'd just never seen him this up close. I moved my hands a little across his chest, feeling his muscles, but pulled away realizing what I was doing "Natsu..." "I...Lucy," he pulled me close and just held me. My face was very red, it became even redder when I realized he was smiling.

"I love you Lucy..." his words hung in the air when I didn't say anything "I...Natsu..." I pulled back and looked up at him. He was still smiling and he had one of his hands in my hair, the other one around my waist from hugging me. Seeing him so happy clicked something inside me. I liked seeing him happy, it made me smile, his goofy grin, his spikey pink hair flying around his head.

I reached my hand up and slowly ran my hand through the pink spikes. Wait...what was I doing? I couldn't, we couldn't, we're on the same team, and it would be hard. I couldn't do this...I...I've never dated, or even liked someone before, and for my first to be Natsu. No, I like him and all, as a really good friend, but, like that? No, I can't, we can't, I'm sorry Natsu... "Natsu...you know we can't, I'm sorry," I stood up and walked away from him.

I didn't want to do it, I didn't want to see him sad but...we couldn't, I'm so sorry. "Huh? Lucy?" I was facing away from him and I gritted my teeth, we can't, it wouldn't be right. "I'm sorry, Natsu, I think you should leave," he looked so sad when I turned back around to look at him "Okay," he looked down at the floor and left.

My heart was telling me to make him wait, to kiss him again but my head wouldn't let my body move, saying it wasn't a good idea. So I didn't move watching him go. Maybe I should've stopped him, but how would that work? We're on the same team and you hear all the time, who knows why, but you hear that it's never a good idea to date someone on your team. No matter how much you love them, no matter how much it hurts, it'll be better that way. I wonder why that's true, I just heard it'll hurt your heart.

I locked the door and changed into my pajamas, I'll sleep on it, if I really want to change this I will in the morning. I hope Natsu's okay, I didn't mean to hurt him but, how would we have worked out? I shook my head, who knows? And I drifted to sleep.