Second Task

I had spent Christmas at the school, and although Fred and George tried their best to persuade me into going to the burrow, I assured them that I wanted to spend Christmas on my own.

~~~~

I casually rested my head on Fred's shoulder, his long arm draped around me, as we were sitting on a bench on the outskirts of Hogsmeade. It was still cold, but the snow has subsided and everything around us turned to mush. Soon would be the 2nd task. I was rooting for both Harry and Cedric, much to the disapproval of Fred and George, who were still mad at Cedric for beating them in quidditch last year.

"Y/n?" Fred pulled me closer to him, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I snuggled into his warm embrace.

"George and I are going to start a joke shop as soon as we get out of Hogwarts, once we get the money off Ludo Bagman." He started, and I feel him squirm with anticipation to my reaction.

"That's great Freddie." I said, looking up and planting a kiss on his cheek.

"Really?" Fred raised his eyebrows, looking rather relieved. "Because I thought because you being so smart and academically inclined, you would want me to..."

"Freddie," I stopped him. "I don't have a certain plan for my future. All I know is that it will revolve around you and your plans. Being with you is all that I need to make me happy." I give him a reassuring smile, pulling him in for a quick kiss.

"I love you so much." He chuckled softly.

"Freddie I can help pay for it." I shot up.

"No, I couldn't possibly take your money for this..." he stuttered.

"Freddie I have a large fortune sitting in my possession that I probably won't be able to use up even a quarter of in my lifetime!" I exclaimed.

"Y/n, are you sure?" He asked, his voice shaking with emotion.

"Positive." I said, and he kissed me again.

"What did I do to deserve you? You're way out of my league." Fred asked, his eyes twinkling.

"I ask me the same thing." I giggled.

~~~~

We sat in seats along the black lake, packed with onlookers. Fred and George were on either side of me, but George was too busy placing bets with Lee Jordan to talk to Fred and I. Fred was a little nervous upon finding out his little brother Ron would be placed underwater for the task, and although I could tell it bothered him to no end, he tried his best to put in a brave face.

"Your brother will be fine, Freddie." I assured him, gently giving his arm a squeeze. "He's under Dumbledores protection."

"Yeah, you're right." Fred smiled, slightly relaxing.

Finally Harry appeared near the judges and the contestants. He looked like he was in mild discomfort, and they began the countdown. The whistle was blown and everyone jumped in. Soon I couldn't see their outlines, lost in the dark depths of the lake. We stared at the lake, it's black and calm surface sending chills down my spine. Despite already wearing multiple layers of warm clothes, I could feel myself shivering. Fred noticed, because he pulled me close, and wrapped his scarf around my neck.

One hour passed and still no sign of the champions above water. Fred and George were squirming in their seats with anticipation, jumping up and down trying to make out anything. First came up the heads of Cedric Diggory and Cho Chang. The crowd roared with excitement, and I clapped along, getting a dirty look from the twins. Second came up Krum carrying Hermione. I stood up and began cheering. Fred and George picked me up by my legs and lifted me up into the air, making me nearly lose balance almost topple over the edge of the railing, earning them both a light punch to the arm.

Finally out of the water sprung out Ron and a blonde haired girls head, shortly followed by Harry. Fred and George rushed to Ron and I followed closely behind them.

Dumbledore was crouching at the water's edge, deep in conversation with what seemed to be the chief merperson, a particularly wild and ferocious-looking female. He was making the same sort of screechy noises that the merpeople made when they were above water; clearly, Dumbledore could speak Mermish. Finally he straightened up, turned to his fellow judges, and said, "A conference before we give the marks, I think."

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached our decision. Merchieftainess Murcus has told us exactly what happened at the bottom of the lake, and we have therefore decided to award marks out of fifty for each of the champions, as follows....

"Fleur Delacour, though she demonstrated excellent use of the Bubble-Head Charm, was attacked by grindylows as she approached her goal, and failed to retrieve her hostage. We award her twenty-five points."

Applause from the stands.

"I deserved zero," said Fleur throatily, shaking her magnificent head.

"Cedric Diggory, who also used the Bubble-Head Charm, was first to return with his hostage, though he returned one minute outside the time limit of an hour." Enormous cheers from the Hufflepuffs in the crowd. "We therefore award him forty-seven points."

Viktor Krum used an incomplete form of Transfiguration, which was nevertheless effective, and was second to return with his hostage. We award him forty points." Karkaroff clapped particularly hard, looking very superior.

"Harry Potter used gillyweed to great effect," Bagman continued. "He returned last, and well outside the time limit of an hour. However, the Merchieftainess informs us that Mr. Potter was first to reach the hostages, and that the delay in his return was due to his determination to return all hostages to safety, not merely his own. Most of the judges," Bagman gave Karkaroff a very nasty look, "feel that this shows moral fiber and merits full marks. However...Mr. Potter's score is forty-five points."

I clapped really hard, and Fred and George looked exceptionally happy with this outcome.

"The third and final task will take place at dusk on the twenty-fourth of June," continued Bagman. "The champions will be notified of what is coming precisely one month beforehand. Thank you all for your support of the champions."

Madam Pomfrey began herding the champions and hostages back to the castle to get into dry clothes. Fred cheerily put his arm over me and we began walking back to the castle, exchanging money with George and Lee Jordan for their bets. Fred pretended that him worrying over Ron never happened, and I chose not to bring it up.

Although my parents deaths were still heavily weighing on my heart, I decided to make an effort of trying to be happy, if not for my sake, for Fred and George's. Life must go on.