Umbridge

I glanced over my schedule.
1 N.E.W.T Charms
2 N.E.W.T Potions
3 N.E.W.T Defence Against the Dark Arts
4 N.E.W.T Herbology
5 N.E.W.T Transfiguration
6 N.E.W.T Arithmancy
7 N.E.W.T Astronomy
8 N.E.W.T Alchemy
9 N.E.W.T History of Magic

Great, the only class I Freddie and I had together was DADA. I sighed, and looked at Fred, who was lightly snoring next to me.

"Freddie, wake up." I planted a kiss on his nose.

"Why..." he groaned, slightly opening his eyes. "It's still dark outside..."

"That's because it's seven, it will start getting light soon, and you still need to get to your dorm and change."

"Oh shit you're right!" Fred bolted upright, his eyes now fully open.

"Freddie I'll see you today in DADA." I plant another kiss on his nose.

"That's it?" He frowned.

"Well you only have 3 classes, and only your DADA class is advanced." I giggled. "You can see me in your free periods."

"How does it feel to be smart?" Fred grumbled, a small goofy grin plastered on his face.

"You should know." I trailed my fingers along his neck.

"Don't you go finding yourself a new boyfriend in all those smart kid classes." Fred said, getting up and grabbing the invisibility cloak and his clothes.

"Freddie you're the only person I will ever have eyes for, and you should know that, now go!" I playfully shoved him towards the door.

~~~~

Upon entering the DADA classroom with Fred and George, I saw Professor Umbridge was already there, seated at the teachers desk, wearing the fluffy pink cardigan of the night before and the black velvet bow on top of her head.

The class was quiet as it entered the room; Professor Umbridge was, as yet, an unknown quantity and nobody knew how strict a disciplinarian she was likely to be.

"Well, good afternoon!" she said, when finally the whole class had sat down.

A few people mumbled "good afternoon" in reply.

"Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge. "That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge'. One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," we chanted back at her.

'There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

Many of the class exchanged gloomy looks; the order 'wands away' had never yet been followed by a lesson they had found interesting. I heard Fred groaning next to me while putting away his wand.

Professor Umbridge opened her handbag, extracted her own wand, which was an unusually short one, and tapped the blackboard sharply with it; words appeared on the board at once:

N.E.W.T Defence Against the Dark Arts

A Return to Basic Principles

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your OWL year."

She rapped the blackboard again; the first message vanished and was replaced by:

Course Aims:
1. Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic.